Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Some stuff I don't understand

Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:08 AM
pickertgmbh

4 posts · Feb 2011
Hi BFA team,

thanks for the cool Atahualpa Theme. Over time I suppose that I will be able to handle all such issues but currently I have not much experience and I have several margin and font stuff I am not able to solve.

1. I am not able to add some space in the upper right corner that the word "E-Mail" is right-justified to the search box. Where can I do that?

2. I am not able to add some margin to the top, left and right of the center column like I did with the sidebars. I tried all combinations in "Style and edit center column" but it did not work. Where can I do that?

3. I did not find the solution to reduce the size of the text in the sidebars

4. I changed the <H1>-Tag that it should be transformed to uppercase and bold face. Uppercase worked, bold face not, what's wrong here?

Sorry for so many questions, could you please have a look at http://beta.pickert.de? Thanks

Sven.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:28 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Welcome! Once you want to start making custom changes to a theme, you have to learn some CSS so you know what effects what and how to create CSS selectors and rules. Two great tools are 'FireBug' for firefox and w3schools.com/css.

With w3schools.com/css you have an online reference of all the CSS syntax and test pages where you can play with it and make changes.

With FireBug you can examine the html elements and see all the CSS that is applied to an element. Remember CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets, so what ever you apply to a parent element effects it's children too.

Spend a little time educating yourself, look at all the theme options and read the on screen documentation and I'm sure you will be able to answer you own questions. For example go back and look at the default option at ato->Style & edit CENTER COLUMN->Center column style and you should be able to answer one of your questions right away.

(hint if you need it: padding vrs margin)
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:59 AM
pickertgmbh

4 posts · Feb 2011
Hi juggledad,

thanks for the links, these are very helpful. I do understand how it basically works now, but going back to the problems I still can not solve these things correctly:

1. I don't find a location *where* I can add a space or borders or whatever is necessary. In "RSS Settings" I can only change the width of the box

2. I tried to solve this thing using "margin" (like you suggested with your hint) but it looked the same as without. I solved it with borders and it looks correct now but I am not sure if that is a "good" solution.

3. solved!

4. I played around a little bit and since the transformation and fontsize changes I know that I am at the right "place" to change the font but "font-weight: bold;" does simply not change anything. I firebug this entry is crossed out. Has that something to do that it is not only a <h2> but also a link which has the font-weight "normal".

Thanks!

Sven.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:30 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Not every element on the page or every option, has a theme setting that you can use. That is why there is the option 'CSS Inserts'. If you want to expand beyond what options are available, you can code a CSS Selector and the CSS rules to apply the styling to an element and put that code in the 'CSS Inserts' and it is now part of your options.

This does mean that you need to know some CSS to do this. When you see an option crossed out in FireBug, it means that a more specific CSS Selector has over ridden this for the element you are looking at. Do some reading on FireBug.