Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] <p> is not displaying in articles in Chrome (Mac)

Old Mar 4, 2013, 04:17 PM
tralci2013

41 posts · Mar 2013
In article the <p> tag is not displaying. Paragraphs are all attached, no space between them. Why?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 05:10 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tralci2013
In article the <p> tag is not displaying. Paragraphs are all attached, no space between them. Why?
Have you tried code validation?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 05:30 PM
tralci2013

41 posts · Mar 2013
Elsewhere (Opera for instance) it works.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 07:06 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
Elsewhere (Opera for instance) it works.
Most browsers autocorrect and try to figure out what they think you meant to code. They all do it to varying degrees of success, but it's safest to have valid code. Did you validate your code?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 07:15 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Is this happening on the blog page or on a single post page?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:11 AM
tralci2013

41 posts · Mar 2013
On the blog page I don't have any new paragraphs. The problem is in the single pages.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:11 AM
tralci2013

41 posts · Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc
Most browsers autocorrect and try to figure out what they think you meant to code. They all do it to varying degrees of success, but it's safest to have valid code. Did you validate your code?
The validation says there are tens of errors, also regarding parts of the code I never touched.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:41 AM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
The validation says there are tens of errors, also regarding parts of the code I never touched.
There probably aren't that many, but one of them is throwing the others off. For example, sometimes one missing closing </p> or </div> will show all similar tags as errors.

On the validation page, there's an option to view source. Select that. Then, when you click on the error message, it'll show you your code where it's seeing the error. Pay particular attention in the area where you did your edits.

Good luck.

One of the ways to avoid having this be so hard in the future is to validate early and often. If you validate after each edit, it's usually pretty easy to find your mistakes.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:26 AM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
If you used firebug, you'd see that your p tags are all there, and the style you have set for them is just:

Code:
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
Is that what you want? That's what you see. Did you edit this tag at all?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:36 AM
tralci2013

41 posts · Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc
If you used firebug, you'd see that your p tags are all there, and the style you have set for them is just:

Code:
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
Is that what you want? That's what you see. Did you edit this tag at all?
Never touched this.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:44 AM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
Never touched this.
OK, I compared it to mine, and it's the same, so it's probably the code validation. Keep digging.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:00 AM
tralci2013

41 posts · Mar 2013
I'm thinking about resetting all the files and upload the modified ones one by one. What do you think?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:00 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Quote:
This thread seems to have gotten more complicated than needed.

You won't see the <p> or <br /> tags in the text view.

If you use the visual editor and hit enter it will give you a paragraph break. In the text view you will just see a space between the areas that have the <p> tags.

As mentioned the <p> tag is generated when you hit enter once in visual view or twice in text view leaving a space. for a <br /> you have to hold the shift and hit enter in the visual view or hit enter once in the text view.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:01 AM
tralci2013

41 posts · Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
This thread seems to have gotten more complicated than needed.

You won't see the <p> or <br /> tags in the text view.

If you use the visual editor and hit enter it will give you a paragraph break. In the text view you will just see a space between the areas that have the <p> tags.

As mentioned the <p> tag is generated when you hit enter once in visual view or twice in text view leaving a space. for a <br /> you have to hold the shift and hit enter in the visual view or hit enter once in the text view.
When I say that <p> is not displaying I am meaning that on the browser I can't see the paragraph space.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:04 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Could you post and example of what is in a post? A cut and paste from the text view would do.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:12 AM
tralci2013

41 posts · Mar 2013
Chrome MacBook
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:20 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Chrome MacBook
What does this mean?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:42 AM
tralci2013

41 posts · Mar 2013
SOLVED!

The plugin WP Content Slideshow was conflicting with someone else.