Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Breadcrumbs in Page Menu Bar not working ... no matter what ... but has for

Old Jun 16, 2009, 05:42 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Information [SOLVED] Breadcrumbs in Page Menu Bar not working ... no matter what ... but has for

I raised this issue earlier when using Yoast's breadcrumb plugin -- http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...ighlight=yoast. The original source for that code was from: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...ght=breadcrumb

Part of the solution was to switch to Breadcrumb NavXT in an effort to eliminate having the breadcrumb trail go vertical, instead of horizontal. But, switching hasn't worked ... the images attached to the original thread are still valid.

What I've done:

0. Deactivated and deleted Yoast's breadcrumb plugin. Installed and activated Breadcrumb NavXT Administration Interface version and left it at its default settings.

1. Here is the code that I inserted into bfa_header_config.php, starting at line 21 -- this was code suggested to from that earlier thread:

Code:
  if ($bfa_ata['levels_page_menu_bar'] == "") {
     $bfa_ata['levels_page_menu_bar'] = 0;  
  }	
  $page_menu_bar .= bfa_hor_pages($bfa_ata['sorting_page_menu_bar'],     $bfa_ata['levels_page_menu_bar'], 
  $bfa_ata['titles_page_menu_bar'], $bfa_ata['exclude_page_menu_bar']);

// 7 lines of code and comments below added on 6/15/09 by DPH to add breadcrumbs to the Page Menu bar
  if (function_exists('bcn_display'))
      $page_menu_bar .= '<li class="breadcrumb">Your breadcrumb trail: &raquo;';
  {
  // Display the breadcrumb
  ob_start();  bcn_display(); $bcn_display = ob_get_contents(); ob_end_clean();
  }
  $page_menu_bar .= $bcn_display;
  $page_menu_bar .= '</li></ul></div>' . "\n";
  // END of Page Menu Bar
By itself, using Breadcrumb NavXT made no difference ... the breadcrumb trail existed but it was still vertical.

Shedfed was kind enough to send me the CSS Insert that adjusted the line for him so that it displayed properly on his Page Menu Bar -- of particular importance is the "display: inline" instead of the Page Menu Bar's default of "display: block"

Code:
#breadcrumb  {float: right; padding: 4px 5px 4px 5px; margin-top: 0px; font-size: 75%; margin-right: 5px; background-color:#FFFDDD; color: #FF000;}
#breadcrumb a {display: inline; border: none; padding: 0; text-transform: none;}
#breadcrumb a:hover {color: #000099; background-color: #FFFDDD;}
Note: I did tweak it slightly to change the colors so they would stand out during testing.

The end result is ... no change.

I downloaded Firebug and started "poking around" and it appears as my CSS Insert is being completely ignored.

I can see the "<li class="breadcrumb"> under: <ul id="rmenu2" class "clearfix rmenu-hor rmenu"> so the class is being recognized. But the colors, for one thing, that I added above don't show up during "inspection" at all and the trail continues to be horizontal.

I cleared the cache, several times, even bounced IIS. And. I went back through changes I'd made in style.css to add underline to the page and category menus and disabled them ... no change.

What could be causing my CSS Insert to be completely ignored? Since the class was declared in the bfa_header_config logic, the above insert seems like it should work ... and is working for Shedfed.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:55 AM
shedhed

52 posts · Mar 2009
Bramhall, UK
Don

You need to change the li class="breadcrumb" to li id="breadcrumb" in your change to bfa_header_config.php as the CSS selector # is for id's. Sorry; that's my fault. I must have changed over from a class at some stage and for some (no doubt obscure) reason. My bit of the bfa_header_config.php file looks like this these days - note the li id bit. The CSS should then get selected properly. Apologies for this.

PHP Code:
    $page_menu_bar .= bfa_hor_pages($bfa_ata['sorting_page_menu_bar'], $bfa_ata['levels_page_menu_bar'], 

$bfa_ata['titles_page_menu_bar'], $bfa_ata['exclude_page_menu_bar']);
if (
function_exists('bcn_display'))
$page_menu_bar .= '<li id="breadcrumb">You are here &raquo;';
{
// Display the breadcrumb
ob_start();  bcn_display(); $bcn_display ob_get_contents(); ob_end_clean();
}
$page_menu_bar .= $bcn_display ;
$page_menu_bar .= '</li></ul></div>' "\n";
// END of Page Menu Bar 

Hope this helps. Andy
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:52 AM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Shedhed! It works! Beautifully.

Major kudos for following up. You are a true Atahualpa Trooper.

As a recap so other folks don't have to slog through pages of replies and posts, here is what worked with 3.3.3 and Breadcrumb NavXT 3.2.1:

1. Modify bfa_header_config.php as below.

The original code looks like this (starting at line 21):

Code:
	}	
	$page_menu_bar .= bfa_hor_pages($bfa_ata['sorting_page_menu_bar'], $bfa_ata['levels_page_menu_bar'], 
		$page_menu_bar .= '</ul></div>' . "\n";
	// END of Page Menu Bar
The new code should look like this:

Code:
	}	
       $page_menu_bar .= bfa_hor_pages($bfa_ata['sorting_page_menu_bar'], $bfa_ata['levels_page_menu_bar'], 
       // 7 lines of code and comments added below to add breadcrumbs to the Page Menu bar
	if (function_exists('bcn_display'))
		$page_menu_bar .= '<li id="breadcrumb">Your breadcrumb trail: &raquo;';
	{
	// Display the breadcrumb
	ob_start();  bcn_display(); $bcn_display = ob_get_contents(); ob_end_clean();
	}
	$page_menu_bar .= $bcn_display;
	$page_menu_bar .= '</li></ul></div>' . "\n";
	// END of Page Menu Bar
2. The CSS Insert (ATO --> HTML/CSS Inserts --> CSS Inserts) is as follows (color and tweak properties to taste):

Code:
#breadcrumb  {float: right; padding: 4px 5px 4px 5px; margin-top: 0px; font-size: 85%; margin-right: 5px; background-color:#FFFDDD; color: #003366;}
#breadcrumb a {display: inline; border: none; padding: 0; text-transform: none;}
#breadcrumb a:hover {color: #000000; background-color: #FFFDDD;}
Again, thank you for your help Shedhead. And for Flynn's and Juggledad's earlier input.

P.S. I kind of suspect that setting up the CSS Insert somewhat like this for the Yoast Breadcrumb plugin would have caused it to work as well (ref: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...ighlight=yoast) but now that I've played with Breadcrumb NavXT it seems to have a lot more flexibility.