Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Put in an additional footer - How?

Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:10 AM
hubbiida

17 posts · Nov 2010
Greetings,

I have searched the forums, and I've come close, but I haven't found anything that perfectly answers this question:

Is it possible to put an additional footer above the existing footer in Atahualpa? I realize a widget can be put into the footer itself or placed at the bottom of the central column. But neither of those are quite what I am looking for. I need a separate area - a widget, or even a div put in by a PHP function - that makes the footer a two-tiered affair. Any way to do it?

Thanks!

Andrew
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:24 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I am not clear on why a new widget area or areas won't work.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 04:40 PM
hubbiida

17 posts · Nov 2010
Thanks, Imiles,

I'm afraid I didn't explain myself very well. A widget would be fine; great, really. But I want a widget directly above the footer, which stays there and doesn't move. It seems that if I put a widget into the Footer Content area it appears inside the footer. If I put one at the bottom of the Center Column, it changes position according to the contents of the Center Column. I want one which is attached above the footer and stays there. Does this make sense?

Many, many thanks,
Andrew
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:04 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
without having to edit the theme code, here is an idea you could try.

In the 'Footer contents' add two <div>'s one with your stuff for footer1 and one with the sutff for footer2 then style them different and style the real footer so it blends with the background.. make it transparent or something
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:52 PM
hubbiida

17 posts · Nov 2010
Hi Juggledad,
Thanks for the reply. That certainly makes sense. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some easier way of doing it I was missing.

I don't mind editing the PHP files, btw. I tried to insert a new widget area into the footer.php file using <?php bfa_widget_area('name=My new widget area'); ?> and it did appear on the page, but not just above the footer where I wanted it. I tried putting it in various places in the file, but to no avail. Either it didn't appear or it appeared in or below the footer. Any idea where I might put it to appear just above the footer?

Thanks so much for your help.
Andrew
Old Jan 22, 2014, 04:30 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
actually since the footer is a row in a table, this is probably the easiest long term method since it will survive theme updates.
add the following to 'Footer: Content'
HTML Code:
<div id="myfooter1"> this is footer 1</div>
</td></tr>
<tr><td id="myfooter" colspan="3">
<div id="myfooter2">Copyright &copy; %current-year% %home% - All Rights Reserved</div>
this adds a div to the current table row with the ID 'footer', ends that table row and starts a new table row with the id 'myfooter'. The colspan="3" assumes you have a right and left sidebar, you'll need to adjust that to your setup.

You will need to style each table row separately - The first will use the theme option settings, the second you will need to add to the CSS Inserts option. Try adding this to the CSS to get an idea - the borders show you the defined area of each element
HTML Code:
#footer {border:solid 1px red; margin-bottom: 20px;}
#myfooter1, #myfooter2 {border:solid 1px tan; margin-bottom: 20px; height:40px;}
#myfooter {border:solid 1px blue;
    background-color: #FFFFFF;
    color: #777777;
    font-size: 95%;
    height: 52px;
    padding: 20px 0 0;
    text-align: center;
    width: auto;}
Old Jan 22, 2014, 06:58 AM
hubbiida

17 posts · Nov 2010
Great! This is very helpful. I have only one question: Why must I put the end and start of the table rows between the divs? Can't I simply put two divs into the existing footer table row and style them as needed? I'm sure you must have a good reason. Love to hear it of you get a chance.

I'll send some $$$ your way ASAP. Really appreciate the theme and all the help. You guys are truly amazing!

Andrew
Old Jan 22, 2014, 09:06 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Well you said you wanted an additional footer
If just adding two div's in works out, do it - what's the expression…there are many ways to skin a cat
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:57 AM
hubbiida

17 posts · Nov 2010
Gotcha. Just didn't know you could mix up div and table tags like that. I sent you a little cash just now; buy yourself something nice. You deserve it!
Best,
Andrew