Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

I want to get shortcode working in the sidebar...

Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:12 PM
Velma

272 posts · Feb 2009
I want to get shortcode working in the sidebar...

I've tried 3 plugins that were supposed to do this, and it didn't work. I'm going to assume a compatibility problem, and I need the plugins that are there, so I went hunting for another work-around.

Found this:

http://englishmike.net/2008/07/07/wo...idebar-widget/

It says to edit the functions.php and put some code in there.

"Find a place between the <?php and ?> tags which is not in the middle one of the functions that may already be in the file (the very top or bottom of the file are both good places) and add the following line:
add_filter('widget_text', 'do_shortcode');

So...I'm wondering where the safest place to do this is?

Can I do this somewhere in the Atahualpa Options, and not edit the functions.php? If not, where would be the safest place within the functions.php to do this?

Thanks.

Velma
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:22 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Did you try this plugin? I haven't tested it but once installed it's supposed to allow you to add shortcode to a text widget. It may take the place of putting code in a core file which I like to avoid.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:00 PM
Velma

272 posts · Feb 2009
Yes, I did.

I want to add the short code form Simple WP Shoppingcart.

I know I can add the php in widget code and get the add to cart buttons in the sidebar, but I want a button with the dropdown, and it won't do that with the php code...only the short code.

I tried 3 different shortcode in widget plugins (including the one you offered), and the shortcode didn't work.

So I found that link I posted, and wanted to give that a try, but don't want to insert it somewhere that causes me more problems.

Warmly,

Velma
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:06 PM
Velma

272 posts · Feb 2009
I don't think this other work-around will work either.

I've been posting at the plugin's forum as well. (Not a bad response time...usually around 24 hours.)

This was the response I got when I posted that a short-code plugin didn't work:

Quote:
Because the shortcode was created using a filter not a proper wordpess shortcode API (wordpress introduced it later).
Ah well. Not sure what else to do.

Velma
Old Jul 9, 2010, 08:36 AM
gaidin

21 posts · May 2010
Hi

I tried the 'english mike' idea and it seem to work fine.

Added
PHP Code:
add_filter('widget_text''do_shortcode'); 
just before the closing ?>

at the end of function.php
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:30 AM
mythical54

11 posts · Nov 2010
Am trying to do this and nothing above works.
I have VideoGall working on the pages and want to put a video on sidebar that will open with the shadowbox effect from VideGall.

I am using Atahualpa latest version.

http://www.contemporarycollegeofhomeopathy.com/

All I get is text

Anyone have any ideas

Alan
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:05 AM
cantplay

14 posts · Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin
Hi

I tried the 'english mike' idea and it seem to work fine.

Added
PHP Code:
add_filter('widget_text''do_shortcode'); 
just before the closing ?>

at the end of function.php
Thanks! This worked for me WP 3.4.2 ATA 3.7.9