Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Transparent border around sidebar widgets?

Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:21 AM
sky captain

61 posts · Sep 2009
[SOLVED] Transparent border around sidebar widgets?

I'd like my sidebar widgets to float independently, and not be connected visually to the main content area or header. (See pic below.)

I think I can do this virtually with a wide margin in the center column and a clever background image. But I'm not sure how to do additional transparent buffers in between the widgets.

Any suggestions?

Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:10 AM
sky captain

61 posts · Sep 2009
I'm experimenting right now. Like I thought, I was able to get space between the center and sidebar with margins and semi-transparent background image.

http://animatusstudio.com/test3/

But I'm not sure how to build in some space between each widget.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:30 AM
sky captain

61 posts · Sep 2009
Also, is there a way to do a transparent border around my page menu items? You can see the thick black border around my menu links, and I'd prefer that to be transparent.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:43 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
This is where learning to use a tool like Firebug is necessary. As an example to put space between widget areas you would make #right transparent and then style .widget to make the widgets look as you want.

For the menu you will probably have to make the menu transparent and put margins between the menu li items.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:20 PM
sky captain

61 posts · Sep 2009
How do I "make the menu transparent"? I know how to change the hex code to any color I like, but what's the code for transparent?

I tried opacity:0.0

Also tried background-color: none

Neither seemed to work on the menu background, one actually made the whole menu disappear.

Last edited by sky captain; Jan 27, 2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:23 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The code for transparent is transparent. w3schools.com is a good source for CSS code.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:37 PM
sky captain

61 posts · Sep 2009
Not being able to style the Widget Content Box is throwing me off. I can give the widget a background color or image, but can't give the contents a margin. The words are right on the edge.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:41 PM
sky captain

61 posts · Sep 2009
Thanks for the "transparent" tip. There's so many variations on CSS, and I'm a copy-paste coder, so didn't know what to do there.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 03:14 PM
sky captain

61 posts · Sep 2009
I just remembered another blog design I did, where I compromised with a single image that acts as a long vertical background for the whole sidebar.

http://farmerbarney.com

I say compromise, because if I were to keep adding widgets, they'd end up falling off the bottom edge of the "paper" image.

I accomplished that with an HTML insert:

Code:
td#right {
vertical-align: top;
border-left: dashed 0px #CCC;
padding: 10px 10px 10px 10px;
background: url(ADDRESS-OF-JPG-GOES-HERE) no-repeat top left;
}