Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

BUG: Menu and right drop out menus disappearing when above headline of page

Old May 8, 2011, 05:00 PM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
I don't know since when this bug exists, and I'm not sure it happens with all browsers, it is problematic with Firefox 4 (on Windows 7).

The problem is that the page menu dropdown subentries that open up to the right are folding up, as soon as you move onto them, if there is a headline link below.

see example here (using Firefox 4):
http://openmtbmap.org/de/
1.Move mouse over Tutorials, go down to "Karten in Mapsource installieren" wait for the menu popup to the right to show and move your mouse over it. That's working.

2. Move your mouse away so the menu closes.

3. Try to get the menu popping up again - it won't work until you click on the page (no link, just somewhere). Now the menu opens up again, but you will be unable to click onto any menu links popping up to the right under the Tutorials header.

Hope someone can reproduce this bug. The description above is for Firefox4. It is really annoying that the submenus opening up to the right are really difficult to click. Damn, this bug is so bad, that I consider not using subpages anymore.
I noticed on my statistics, that these pages virtually get no traffic at all - because people are actually not able to open them up.

This problem did not exist in old Atahualpa versions with Firefox 3. Not sure whether this is a Firefox bug or Atahualpa bug, but I have 80% Firefox users, so this bug is a really big problem for me.
Chrome seems to cope mostly fine, just sometimes the menu structure breaks down, but it is solvable by clicking onto the page somewhere, and then the menu works fine again. Internet Explorer 9 seems to work mostly fine, but also sometimes the menu becomes bogus.
Overall the delay for closing really is too quick and should be 2-3 times slower - as it sometimes is hard to click onto the titles.

Last edited by extremecarver; May 8, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old May 8, 2011, 05:30 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
works fine in Safari and Firefox 3.6 and 4.0.1 on OSX
Old May 8, 2011, 05:31 PM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
So this is a Windows only problem?
Old May 8, 2011, 05:38 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
also works fine in FireFox 4.0 on XP...windows 7 bug???
Old May 8, 2011, 05:42 PM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
You tried it on my page? Because the error somehow also seems to be related to the right page margin.

I noticed, if I make the windows smaller, it does not happen. So for users with screen smaller 1280pixels wide (the maximum width I optimized for) - the error will be less likely. As soon as the popup to the right overlays the page background, it does not happen anymore. Also when the menu gets hidden by the browser edge.

It actually only seems to happen, when the right popout is wider than the widest menu on top, but no overlapping onto the page background.

Last edited by extremecarver; May 8, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old May 8, 2011, 05:55 PM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
See the screenshot:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The problem comes up with Firefox, when the border of the menu
"KARTEN MIT GMAPTOOL INSTALLIEREN" is bigger than the inner page, but smaller than the dark background. (so on the slightly darker grey border).

If I resize the windows, so that the page size adjusts, and the menu touches the dark grey background, problem does not happen. Also does not happen, when it is completly inside the inner field.

Yeah sound strange, is strange, but reproducable for me with Firefox 4
Old May 8, 2011, 06:55 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
ok, now I see it and it happens in FireFox 4.0 in OSX with the window smaller. This looks like a FIreFox bug since the same page works in FireFox 3.6

Have you tried disabling all plugins to see if that has any effect?
Old May 9, 2011, 07:57 PM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
I tried without all Wordpress plugins, but the bug persisted. Then I tried Firefox in Safe Mode - and the bug was gone.

Then I resized the window a bit, and found again some positions, which caused the Firefox in safe mode, to crash the menu.
So currently all I can say is, the menu structure on Firefox4 is highly fragile and causes people to leave my site (and me myself to get frustrated).

In general the time until menus fold up, should be 2-3 times as long. It's much too nervous right now. Tried around many progs on my PC (7 and Ubuntu) and no prog closes the menu as quick as Atahualpa (small but annoying detail on the user interface usability - but then it's such small details that make a usability good or bad).
Old May 10, 2011, 04:04 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You can play with the slideup/slide down values - edit js.php and file lines 69-78. There is one location for slideDown and two for slideUp