Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » ThemeFrame Presales »

Built with tables?

Old Aug 26, 2010, 03:04 AM
cacaobeans

1 posts · Aug 2010
Note by Flynn: This thread started 2010.
ThemeFrame does NOT use tables for layout (or for anything else).

I'm very interested in the idea of ThemeFrame, but my big question is: are the generated themes - like Atahualpa - laid out with tables to create the 2/3 column layout?

That's the big issue that stops me using Atahualpa more. As web designers, I beleive we should just not be using tables to create layout any more, no matter how convenient that might be. It's neither semantically correct nor is it accessible - and so could not be used for public sector type clients who have to follow policies on these matters.

If you've found a way around that, great, I'm in! If not I'll have to sit it out until there's an option for this (I remember you mentioned this as a possibility for Atahualpa).

I'll be very interested to hear the answer!

Thanks.

Martin
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:55 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
TF creates the columns with a table because you cannot build flexible layouts that work well in IE 6. If any item (image, table, form select field, long words) in any of the columns is too wide by IE6's measurement (which is different from other browsers, so everything still looks fine in other browsers) the whole right column will drop way down below the layout and move to the left.

Nonetheless a DIV-only option is coming, because for static width Layouts there isn't that dropping sidebar issue. That option won't come within the next few weeks, but it is high on my to-do list. The reason I started with the table-colgroup-div technique is that it can do both static and flexible width reliably

On a side note, this is a bit more than just "using a table", the layout technique in Atahualpa/Themeframe works with the colgroup element to set the column widths, and a DIV wrapped around everything. Simply using a table would cause other issues, for instance while no sidebar would drop, the table would expand beyond the desired width causing vert. scrollbars whenever it encountered too-wide-elements.

This does not happen with the way I am using both a table AND CSS Div's, which in my opinion combines the best of a DIV and a table

But as mentioned DIV-only will come, was even planned from the beginning...
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:35 PM
bookmom

42 posts · Aug 2009
I'm looking forward to that option. I noticed that Facebook dropped support for IE6 this week, so the dinosaur will soon become extinct.

And what about some kind of grid-based layout? That would make magazine-style layouts a lot easier.

Last edited by bookmom; Aug 27, 2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:53 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmom
I'm looking forward to that option. I noticed that Facebook dropped support for IE6 this week, so the dinosaur will soon become extinct.

And what about some kind of grid-based layout? That would make magazine-style layouts a lot easier.

I will probably integrate the 960 grid system. It is fairly established and the license fits also
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:57 AM
bookmom

42 posts · Aug 2009
That's exactly the one I was thinking about. Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:04 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Flynn, will you fold this idea into Atahualpa at some point as well? I want to use the theme for a client, but it's a municipal site and they have a no-tables rule.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:44 AM
bookmom

42 posts · Aug 2009
That would be cool, too, Paula. BFA seems to be all about versatility. I just donated last night (still waiting for forum access to download and can't wait to spend the rest of the day playing with it while I set up a site for a volunteer organization) and am champing at the bit to see how Themeframe is set up. But I've been running a site for a year on Atahualpa, and were it not for my husband's need to gently move from visual design into web design, I would have continued to design sites for others using it. The grid system is something a number of frameworks use. It makes it simpler to do a magazine-style site.

Last edited by juggledad; Aug 28, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:18 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
Flynn, will you fold this idea into Atahualpa at some point as well? I want to use the theme for a client, but it's a municipal site and they have a no-tables rule.
I will most likely add this to Atahualpa but only after it's done in ThemeFrame. And it might be a new theme with a similar backend if it requires too many changes in Atahualpa. It's a relatively big change as it affects many HTML elements etc...
Old Sep 4, 2010, 03:46 AM
Gravity

34 posts · Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmom
For what it's worth, the key thing I'm looking for is a magazine-style layout capability. In case of terminology differences, what I mean is that is has a set of sections, for the top-most few post categories, each say section divided into thirds, each third is the most recent post of a sub-category. I don't think current beta of Themeframe will provide that layout functionality, but this 960 grid thing seems pretty nifty.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:07 PM
aravere

56 posts · Sep 2010
rural Virginia, US
Reading through this post, I was excited to hear that the 960 Grid system will be implemented into Atahualpa. Then I saw the date of the thread: 2008!

I have a Photoshopped design (or see link below) that I really need to convert to a website, and I'd like to continue using Atahualpa. One thing that I have been wishing for in my current Atahualpa theme (see www.timothychambers.com) is more flexibility in the middle section. A Google search led me to the 960 Grid System. That sounded great! However, being a newbie, I need the security blanket that the bytesforall forum provides.

So...when and how will the 960 grid work? Any suggestions for turning my design into a working site?

my design: http://forum.bytesforall.com/attachm...4&d=1298857369
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:35 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Here is a screencast of a quickly thrown together idea of how you could break the theme into sections. This idea uses no sidebars. Does this give you any thoughts?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:47 PM
aravere

56 posts · Sep 2010
rural Virginia, US
Hmmm...thanks, Larry. Okay, so the widgets can be made to a full-page width with a certain height. I can imagine setting that in ATO. That leaves me with two questions off the bat:
1. how can I subdivide the widgets to have the different (individual) sections within it; in this example there's one box that's full width, and then three boxes below each approximately of 1/3 width.
2. can I have more than two widgets? E.g., if I had three rows of 'boxes', then I'd have three widgets with three boxes each?

In 2008, Flynn was thinking of integrating the 960 grid system. That system seems like it's made for dividing up the page like I'm talking about here. Is this what you're thinking?

Larry- thanks for your attention and help!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:54 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You would put one single sell widget area in and after that have a three celled widget area. If you use no demensions they will default to 1/3 of the width.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 02:04 PM
aravere

56 posts · Sep 2010
rural Virginia, US
and the single-celled widget defaults to the page width? Or do I set that? As for the number of cells, I determine that, right, but the number of things I put in the widget?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 03:05 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Any widget areas default to full width. To shave items side by side I generally use multiple celled widget areas as the CSS can get "interesting". To populate the widget areas I would take a look at Spectacu.la page widget. This allows you to put any page in a widget area which gives you the functionality of uploading images or whatever. The left sidebar on this site uses that plugin.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:30 PM
aravere

56 posts · Sep 2010
rural Virginia, US
Thanks. I checked out the two links and I think I see what you're saying.

One question that popped in my head: Do all the pages on the site carry the same layout (of widgets) as the home page? Or can they be different, having the traditional layout?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:44 PM
aravere

56 posts · Sep 2010
rural Virginia, US
Hi Larry- I just watched the video for ThemeFrame (at http://themeframe.com/video/) and saw how easy it was to create the look of four widgets running horizontally across the top. It looked a little confusing at first, but at the same time it seemed really intuitive because of the WYSIWYG method.

Is this the theme you're suggesting I use, or is it the Atahualpa theme?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:12 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I was talking about Atahualpa but Themeframe would work as well and may be more intuitive.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:15 AM
aravere

56 posts · Sep 2010
rural Virginia, US
I'll mess around using Atahualpa. If that doesn't work, I'm sure you'll know about it! Thanks for your time and helpful advice. I'll be adding a contribution as soon as I can.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 07:33 AM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
This is most timely!

With thanks
Old Mar 3, 2011, 07:46 AM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Any widget areas default to full width. To shave items side by side I generally use multiple celled widget areas as the CSS can get "interesting". To populate the widget areas I would take a look at Spectacu.la page widget. This allows you to put any page in a widget area which gives you the functionality of uploading images or whatever. The left sidebar on this site uses that plugin.
Hi Imilesw,

Would this be the best way of creating columns in the Footer, applying the Add New Widget Area.... I have done this and have tried to add more than one Widget - and failed - I have one very wide Widget displaying Pages Menu - spread across the wide of the site ... and that's it.

I hope to be able to display Site Map and other bullet point information appearing as 3 columns within the Footer Box.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:03 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You would create a 3 cell widget area. This will put the areas side by side. As you found when you put several widgets in one area they go under on another.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:22 AM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
You would create a 3 cell widget area. This will put the areas side by side. As you found when you put several widgets in one area they go under on another.
Thank you, Imilesw, could you please let me know how to create a 3 cell widget area, so that I have 3 areas side by side, as I seem to have failed (more than once) in doing this - I would like, be more than happy, to donate/pay you for your time and effort.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:37 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
If you look at ATO>Add New Widget Areas you will see the following example code.
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My widget area&cells=4&align=1&align_2=9&align_3=7&width_4=700&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="header-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
One configuration to get a three celled area with a text alignment of left top and auto width of the cells would be.
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My widget area&cells=3&align=9&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="header-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
You can change the name to something more useful to you and put widths and alignments as explained in the text.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:59 AM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
Thank you, Imilesw,

I had applied the ATO example (more than once!) and the widgets simply, as you described, went under each other.

Quote:
If you look at ATO>Add New Widget Areas you will see the following example code.
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My widget area&cells=4&align=1&align_2=9&align_3=7&width_4=700&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="header-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>

One configuration to get a three celled area with a text alignment of left top and auto width of the cells would be.
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My widget area&cells=3&align=9&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="header-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
You can change the name to something more useful to you and put widths and alignments as explained in the text.
And so, now, I have deleted my last - feeble - attempt, and refreshed session, cleared cached, and applied your marvellous three celled new widget area ... and all is well ... except that each widget goes down - within the Footer Box - in a row ... whereas, I need them side-by-side in the Footer Box.

Last edited by KatyDigg; Mar 3, 2011 at 09:03 AM.