Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

[SOLVED] Where is the padding/margin coming from?

Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:11 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
I've set up a special div box to show a post at top of the center section on my static home page. I want the box to be centered between the left and right sidebars. All looks good in a narrow browser window but as the screen widens the space on the right increases while that on the left does not. Please help me identify where the mystery, unwanted padding or margin is coming from.

The page is at http://shepherdjim.com/wp/

With the browser window at 1020 px width you can see the spaces on either side of my special announcement div box are equal at 15px.

Click image for larger version

Name:	announce_div-at-1020px.jpg
Views:	2012
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	65

Click image for larger version

Name:	announce_div-at-1200px.jpg
Views:	1959
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	66

But, with the browser window widened to 1200 px the space to the right of the box has increased to 25px while the left space remains at 15px.

Using the Web Developer addon in Firefox I can SEE that empty, extra 10px. I'm guessing there's some inheritance going on, but I can't find the source so don't know what to over ride.

I'm having trouble inserting screenshots into this message and have attached the two jpgs which seems to be working just tghe way I would have hoped.

I love a good mystery! Jim
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:31 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Eureka! Can't believe it -- I solved the problem myself . I'm just about ready to hang out my "CSS Expert" shingle ....JOKE!

anyway: after changing line-height specs in the index.php file, I experimented with width in the Atahulapa/HTML-CSS Inserts -- I'd it set at 95%; changed that to 100% but then I lost ALL space on that right side ...and then I noticed at www.w3schools.com that width could be set to "auto" -- letting the browser set whatever might be necessary....sounded doubtful to me...

And, it worked! And. wonder of wonders, it even works in IE8!