Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » eCommerce & Atahualpa »

Problems with WP e-Commerce plugin

Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:05 AM
chelling

2 posts · Feb 2009
Bug Problems with WP e-Commerce plugin

I'm setting up a site with the Atahualpa 3 theme and the WP e-Commerce plugin. My problem is that I'm directed bact to the sites index page when clicking on pages inside the WP e-Commerce like "Visit the shop" and "Check Out". Is it a problem combining Atahualpa and WP e-Commerce, or am I just plain stupid?
Kind regards from Norway..
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:16 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Please post a URL, I'd have to see the error in action
Old Feb 21, 2009, 01:13 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
I'm hoping to "link up"/integrate some sort of e-commerce/shopping cart with the site I'm setting up in Atahualpa. The WP-ecommerce plugin was going to be my first experiment -- have already installed the latest beta/RC version, just not activated it yet.

Is there a KNOWN, best way to handle e-commerce through Atahualpa? We need/want to have something a bit more extensive than a simple "Pay Using PayPal" button. We already have an old-fashioned merchant account through our local bank with Transfirst, but the people at the bank aren't much help when it comes to online business. I had taken a long look at Zen Cart, but it wanted to be the ENTIRE website: homepage, product gallery, shopping cart, etc. It was pretty inflexible and VERY clunky/UGLY!

If YOU (meaning anyone other the Flynn) have a recommendation ...or horror story ...please jump in. Though, Flynn, that is NOT to say that I do not want to also hear your thoughts.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend. It's NOT snowing here today! The sun's even out!
TTFN -- S/Jim

Last edited by Shepherd Jim; Feb 22, 2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: I had edited this post in error -- removed the edit :-(
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:28 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I have not done much with ecommerce software yet, but I guess your choices are

Integrate a E-commerce plugin into Wordpress

or

Run E-commerce application side by side with Wordpress, match their design and the only connection between them would be that each one has a link to the other one in the menu bar

If there's a chance that you want to expand your e-commerce activities sometime later, it'd probably be better to start with a real e-commerce software. Do Wordpress and the shop need to communicate a lot with each other? If not, I'd go the WP + real Ecommerce software route.

For instance, I chose Vbulletin as a forum software (and I have not even matched the design to wordpress.bytesforall.com) because I wanted the best forum software considering the amount of time I was going to spend on it. I also wanted to be able to expand the software if I ever wanted to. I am using just a subset of the Vbulletin features right now but if I ever wanted to build this up to something much bigger I could.

Zencart, Creloaded, XTCommerce, OScommerce are all the same breed I think and based on OSCommerce. The "in" shop nowadays is magento, however that one appears to be pretty complicated, too, so an even "hotter" tip would probably be Prestashop. It's supposed to be powerful, modern and easy at the same time. It's supposed to be relatively easy to theme, too.

I am thinking about developing E-commerce themes and if I do I'll probably look into Prestashop, if they keep growing and keep their momentum. Magento is still much bigger I think, both are open source, OSL, not GPL.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:20 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Flynn! The extent of your knowledge continues to amaze me!

I thought I'd mention that a very much related thread "Help starting a store in Atahualpa..." is happening at http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=489

...so! there's another WP e-commerce solution! I better get busy and do some trialling (no matter how I spell that word it never looks right! )

Flynn, I'm wondering if maybe you should take these two threads and stick them into a new, separate "E-commerce" subdirectory.

Okay! I'm off to bed -- been sleeping in my easy chair for an hour or two already.

EDIT/ADD -- P.S. -- I just visited the PrestaShop website. It looks warm and friendly, VERY ACTIVE user base -- would be fun to be a part of that community. I could NOT get their demo, either front or back end, to run in English.

Last edited by Shepherd Jim; Feb 22, 2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: I wanted to add the P.S. re PrestaShop website
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:03 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
November 2009 UpDate:

I saw this old thread in passing and thought I could offer an updated progress report.

I wound up "buying" the Shopp plugin (vs. the WP-ecommerce). My decision was mostly based on the level of support I could see in evidence on the plugins' respective forums. While WP e-commerce was "free" they did not seem to have enough people on staff interested in helping users.

Selling things online is definitely the way to go -- interactive and fun -- you can have casual, up close and personal relationships with your customers.

BUT, when it comes time for money to change hands you cannot afford to be casual. There are laws, your livelihood, the trust of financial institutions AND the trust (AND funds!!) of your customers all very much at stake. If your site collapses in the middle of processing someone's Mastercard you're done for. There's already a large group of people who won't consider using their credit cards on the web. When a person at your website types in their ccard account number, clicks submit and gets a "404 error", you're done. They'll want to know exactly what YOU did with their sensitive info.

...and if you go to your ecommerce software's support forum and ask for help, and there's no response for WEEKS, what use is that? At that point your state's attorney general probably has a task force investigating your tax returns for the past 10 years!

So far so good with Shopp. There's a small "jquery conflict" (double library calls) with Atahualpa that seems like it might slow things down a little. It's easily fixed/avoided by removing a line of code so there's only one jquery library being brought it. (note: I don't really understand what I just said -- am just parroting what I've seen smart people like Shopp Forum admins, Flynn and Juggledad say in posts)

I'll try to remember to come back here periodically with fresh news.
Jim
PS -- I can't see why there appears to so little interest in the "Atahualpa and e-commerce" subject. Am I like the only person who finds this complex and a little bit scary? I tried to interest Flynn in setting up an e-commerce thread here in the Forum, but he pointed out, correctly, that not many people seemed to want to talk about it.