Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Frontpage Slideshow not loading images in IE 7 or 8

Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:05 AM
lucy

60 posts · Aug 2009
Grayson County, TX
I am pretty sure this is not limited to ATA, but maybe if this problem can be solved, the answer can help the group. I have tried everything I can think of. Seems like jquery is just a bedeviling thing. I am not married to this particular plugin, but I have never been able to get anything to work that simply shows a dynamic gallery of the recent posts, images or whatever. This is the only thing that even comes close to working (I hate IE!!). I am totally open to suggestions if anyone has found a better plugin that will work with this configuration.

plugin is http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...age-slideshow/

Wordpress 3.0.1
Atahualpa 3.5.3
Buttons are removed, transition is fade.
URL is http://durninghouse.com

Plugins: Akismet, Clean-Contact, Image Widget, List Category posts, Secure Wordpress, Simple Section Navigation Widget, Wordpress Database Backup.

I was only having problems with IE 7 and IE 8, and then just intermittently. It works fine on Chrome, Firefox and even on my Iphone with Safari.

Initially I was able to see error text in my browser that showed there was a conflict with a plug in called Connections. I wasn't using it anyway so I deactivated and deleted. I still have images not loading intermittently in IE7 and IE 8 - like everyone else it seems like if the cache is clear, the images show up. Like, if you go to a fresh computer and open the site in IE, it's OK. It seems to be cycling through the posts but not showing images.

Removing all the plugins and re-activating didn't help a lot because it's so intermittent. I think I've found the culprit and then the problem reappears. The problem happens in the default TwentyTen theme also so I don't think it's the theme.

I was using the newest version of Frontpage-Slideshow. So, I downgraded to .8 and installed manually. Same result.

I really like this plugin a lot and would like to use it but unfortunately IE is still the most-uses browser so I can't have this not work.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:01 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
It seems like I had some issues with that plugin and started using Dynamic Content Gallery instead.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 08:45 PM
lucy

60 posts · Aug 2009
Grayson County, TX
That looks nice, thanks for the suggestion.
Am I right that you can configure it to choose the image and content and everything automatically? It kind of needs to be set it and forget it.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 09:50 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The content yes but the image is something you add to a field when adding a page. I like this better because sometimes the image I am putting in a page is not the right size for the slideshow or perhaps I don't even want an image showing on the page.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:43 AM
lucy

60 posts · Aug 2009
Grayson County, TX
Thanks again - I installed Dynamic Content Gallery, and I don't think manually pasting image URLs is really going to work for this case. I would rather that everything is chosen automatically, which is what I love about Frontpage-Slideshow.

I couldn't get Smooth Slider to work at all. I am pretty sure I have tried almost every dynamic content type plugin and this is as close to success as I have ever gotten.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 05:52 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Have you checked on the Frontpage support site for answers?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 06:26 AM
lucy

60 posts · Aug 2009
Grayson County, TX
Yes, other people have the same problem and I added my question with all the details to the list. No responses yet but if it gets solved I will share it here so it helps someone else.