Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Home page versus Front page

Old May 20, 2009, 08:38 PM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
Send a message via Skype™ to ldsmedia
Problem Solved.

I apologize profusely if this is explained somewhere but I have been looking for an hour and can't figure out the difference between a home page and a front page. You have a home page by default and I want this to be a static welcome/intro page. What I cannot figure out is how to set my page to show up on the home page.

If I create a page and call it home my menu shows two links for home. I would also like this to be my front page (I think).

Flynn I am very disappointed to find out that your average donation is so low. Maybe people pay what they can and then forget you when they have more funds? I like to believe the best about people, but maybe I am an exception. $50 was all I could send you at first and I don't know how much that buys right now where you are at, but I should be able to send you another $50 at the end of next month. I am disappointed to see that people asked questions first and said they were going to donate. I donated first, I think that is only fair. We all have to eat. Any way, I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
I cannot find images of what I want that I think look good and I would be willing to pay someone else for looking. So if you can do an image gallery that has a better search than Istock and Bigstock, I would definitely be a customer. Just don't carry crappy images. They should be crisp clean and aesthetically pleasing to the eye as well as relevant.

Last edited by ldsmedia; May 30, 2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Mark as solved
Old May 21, 2009, 05:03 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
A front page/home page is not an Atahualpa setting, it is a Wordpress setting
In WP 2.7.1 - go to the dashboard and select SETTINGS from the left hand column, then select READING.
This is where you define if you want the latst posts or a static page to show up when you first visit the site.
Old May 27, 2009, 05:30 PM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
Thanks for that response. However, I should have been more specific about my issue. When I create a page and call it home, my navigation bar shows two home pages.

So I guess I am confused about the second home page, I think there in something in the admin panel for Atahulapa about displaying the home page, but I found it confusing.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:17 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What do you have filled in at ATO -> Page Menu Bar -> Home link in Page Menu Bar?

Normally, the front page of a wordpress blog is a dynamically created page which is the blog. Atahualpa has an option to put call this dynamically created page anything you want (see the option above) and it defaults it to the label 'Home'. You can change it to whatever you want to call it.

It can be confusing because there is also the WordPress option (Dashboard->Settings->Reading->Front page displays) where you can change what the front page will be. You could change it to your 'Home' page and have another page be the 'blog' page, or your page could be the blog page.

Play with the names and the settings and I think you will figure it out
Old May 28, 2009, 11:41 AM
lomaprietapottery

3 posts · May 2009
Not sure if I did this the way you are supposed to, but when that happened to me, in Atahualpa page menu options, I added the page number of the home page I created to the list of pages not to display in the page menu. This eliminated the double listing of my static home page.

FYI - in the sidebars options there is an explanation of Frontpage vs. Homepage. Hope this helps.
Old May 28, 2009, 06:18 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
There's a bug regarding highlighting of front page (domain.com/) vs home page (domain.com/blog/), see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?p=7350
Old May 28, 2009, 06:58 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsmedia
Flynn I am very disappointed to find out that your average donation is so low. Maybe people pay what they can and then forget you when they have more funds? I like to believe the best about people, but maybe I am an exception. $50 was all I could send you at first and I don't know how much that buys right now where you are at, but I should be able to send you another $50 at the end of next month.
Thank you for your generous donation. It didn't catch this at first, and it wasn't automatically tracked at the forum. I added your donation to your user name now.

Just so you know, if you click the donate button here on the forum while being logged in, then your donation will be tracked and your "donation award" will be automatically upgraded.
Old May 29, 2009, 03:30 PM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
Okay, Juggledad, I followed your first set of instructions and then in Atahualpa I changed the home page option to blank and it worked. Now my blogs are the front page and the page I title Home is the only Home page showing up on the menu bar. It was easier than I thought. Just a little confusing at first because Atahualpa apparently considers the front page to be the home page and I was trying to use that. Of course, it does allow the option not to name it.

Flynn I don't see a bug in this at this time. I do have 3.3.3.