Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Mobile and iPhone themes?

Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:10 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I've tried both the WP Mobile Edition and WP iTouch plugins, which create a cellphone-friendly interface for a WP blog. I wasn't happy with either of them, but I'm leaving the WP Mobile one in place. It makes sense for Blackberry users and those with phones that have small screens or anemic browsers.

For the iPhone, though, I decided to disable the plugin. It did create a nice, clean interface, but it doesn't show the pretty front page I've been working so hard on. And with the iPhone browser, you can view the page horizontally, scroll up and down and side to side, use gestures to zoom in and out, and generally experience a webpage much more like you're viewing it on a regular monitor.

Have you tried to optimize your site for cell phones? What did you use?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:26 PM
BradBrown

54 posts · Mar 2009
I just started looking into this. I like the WP Mobile plug in, but I'd prefer to control the look and feel of the site. Also, I'm not sure that plug-ins like that one are compatible with caching.

I'm toying with the idea of creating a handheld stylesheet. This is an extra CSS file that is only loaded in handheld devices. I'm playing around with creating one that removes things like sidebars and the header image and adjusts margins, padding and width to work on small screens.

I have a proof of concept site going where I'm trying it out. The tricky part is going to be getting the menu to work well for handhelds. I can reformat the existing mnu bar with CSS, but I'd like to move it under the content. The way this theme is set up, I don't think that's possible with just CSS. I may need to just hide the top menu on handhelds and have a completley separate one at the bottom that's hidden in "normal" browsers.

-Brad
Old Mar 29, 2009, 04:16 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Well, if you get this working, I'm sure you'll have a lot of Atahualpa-ites clamoring for it.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 03:47 PM
joestyer

17 posts · Feb 2009
Falmouth Kentucky
I am hoping that Flynn or someone will consider a tab for mobile configuration in furture releases.
That would go right along with the awsome Atahualpa Theme.
If possible along with the Body and Text, Sidebar, Center, Favicon and all the other tabs in Atahualpa, to have a mobile tab.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 08:52 PM
BradBrown

54 posts · Mar 2009
For what it's worth, I played around, but I couldn't get it to do what I wanted in all browsers with only a handheld stylesheet.

I can get part way there. I can remove the things that I don't want displayed in the header. I can also remove the sidebars and adjust the width so it shows nicely in a single column on a small screen.

What I can't do is get a menu and recent posts below the content in all browsers. I can do it on some, but I can't get it to work in IE. I know there are Windows based handhelds, and I presume they run some form of IE, so this would be a problem.

I could make it work by hacking the PHP code, but I don't want to do that.

-Brad
Old Mar 31, 2009, 09:28 PM
joestyer

17 posts · Feb 2009
Falmouth Kentucky
Not sure if this is something you are looking for. Take a look at www.blackberrysites.com on desktop and mobile. I modified the Css in the mobile plugin to match pretty much what the main site looks like. Is this what you are looking for maybe?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:32 AM
pjstemplates.com

2 posts · Apr 2009
thank you joestyer very useful
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:30 AM
flaneur

10 posts · Oct 2009
Bloomington, IN, USA
My site does not format well on my BlackBerry. I would like to set up a mobile page that only loads for cell phone visitors. All I know at this point is that it requires a browser check and an automatic redirect to the mobile page.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:54 AM
joestyer

17 posts · Feb 2009
Falmouth Kentucky
Try and use mobile press plugin. The default theme works
Really well but modifing it is easy also. Overall
This is the best plugin for wordpress in my. Opinion anyway.
Joe Styer
www.blackberrysites.com
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:29 PM
bookmom

42 posts · Aug 2009
I've been using WPApple Architect. It looks great; my only problem is I have a functional widget in the sidebar that is key to my website (handling paid password-protected content) and it's not picking that up, although it does have its own password protection (at my suggestion). I haven't used it, though, because I'm not sure how my membership plugin will act with it.