Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

2 Questions

Old Mar 17, 2009, 04:06 PM
HowlingScribe

4 posts · Mar 2009
1) First, I want to move the menu below the header graphic, and move the comments/rss to the footer or right side bar. I have looked at the code several times, but the code is kind of stuck together and filled with php, so I can't figure out where to put it.

I am trying to convert the blog to a similar form of my old newsletter. Example:
http://news.howlingscribe.com/old/

2) As you can see from the referenced url, I put pictures in the left column of new books. I have been looking at several different plugins, but I have no idea how to get it to look like the html page that I had. Anyone know a plugin that would allow me to do this automatically? If not, what page would I need to edit to add the graphics/text.

Thanks in advance for your help.

HS
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:03 PM
bpbaker

23 posts · Dec 2008
Whitstable, Kent, England.
I can answer a couple of your questions.

To put the menu under the header image use Atahualpa Theme Options - Header - Configure Header Area to change the positions of the header elements. i.e. %pages %image will give you the pages menu above the header image whilst %image %pages will put the menu below.

On your old site, the same html that you use to display the book images in the left column can be put into a Text widget in Atahualpa. You can have an occurrence of this widget for each book you want to show in a sidebar.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:30 PM
HowlingScribe

4 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbaker
I can answer a couple of your questions.

To put the menu under the header image use Atahualpa Theme Options - Header - Configure Header Area to change the positions of the header elements. i.e. %pages %image will give you the pages menu above the header image whilst %image %pages will put the menu below.

On your old site, the same html that you use to display the book images in the left column can be put into a Text widget in Atahualpa. You can have an occurrence of this widget for each book you want to show in a sidebar.
Ahhh! Thanks for the answer to question on how to change the header. I saw that section, but I didn't really figure that it would change the order so easily! I have tried to install word press and customize for several years, and I must say that this theme is the best as far as customization.

Do a text widget? Hmmms, I will look into that. Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:41 PM
HowlingScribe

4 posts · Mar 2009
I have another question. I am trying to duplicate the following url:

http://news.howlingscribe.com/old/nov-bdarc.html

I tried doing it in the post body, and it looks a bit cramped.

http://news.howlingscribe.com/?p=23#more-23

Any suggestions? I heard that you can make a page layout, and I looked at the page to do it, but I found it a little confusing. Any help would be appreciated.

I tried the help on: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...light=template and it didn't work for me. *looks confused*

HS

Last edited by HowlingScribe; Mar 22, 2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:43 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
You've got the basic structure intact, but it looks cramped because of so many images crowded together. If I were you, I'd just make the book cover images a lot smaller, or not have them in the body of the article at all, since you have images in the sidebar. You need to copy/paste the source code of just the center text area of your original, not the stuff in the side. Just my opinion; I don't like visual clutter.

You should probably also remove the class= tags, since those won't translate to your new Wordpress installation. You can format the text after you paste it in the editing window. As far as I can see, you need to use this part, if you just want the interview text:
Code:
<div id="content">

<h1 align="left">Interview of Bianca D'arc - Nov. 5th 2008</h1>

<p> <span class="text">Our first interview for the Howling Scribe Newsletter from <a href="http://biancadarc.com/">Bianca D'arc</a>. She writes several great series including: Dragon Knights, Brotherhood of Blood (Vampires), Shapeshifter, Future Worlds, and other Paranormal series. She's a great author, and it's my privilege to interview her for the Howling Scribe Newsletter.</span></p>
<hr />
<p class="bookmenu"><b>Writing Questions:</b></p>
<p class="text">Q) When you get an idea for a book, and you start outlining your 
  characters, do you dive into them and complete the story as fast as 
  possible, or do you have several different books on the fire at the same time?<br />
  <br />
  A) I dive in and write as much as I have of the idea right away, but I usually only start with the kernel of a story. I have to flesh it out from that initial kernel and that takes time. And I always have multiple projects going on at the same time. I let one idea &quot;percolate&quot; while I work on another and the change of topic/setting/characters/plot from time to time helps me keep everything fresh, even though it can get rather confusing sometimes.</p>

<BR />
 <p class="text">Q) What made you start writing some of your stories over again 
  and expanding them? Was it the reader's request? Your Publisher's 
  request, or just wanted to make them even better?<br />
  <br />
  A) Well, the first three vampire stories were short. Shorter than I ever wanted to make them, but the publisher they first came out with wanted short stories, so that's they way I had to write them. That publisher went out of business a little more than a year ago, so I took the opportunity to rewrite the stories the way I wanted them and expanded them all from short stories to more substantial novellas. I know they're much better the way they are now and I can't wait to hear what readers think of them.</p>
<BR />
<p class="text">Q) Do you have to do much research in your writing?<br />
    <br />
    A) Not really. The scientific stuff I use in my futuristics is stuff I already knew from my previous career as a chemist or stuff I made up using that knowledge. The only times I've really had to do research is when I was writing backgrounds for some of my vampires. I had to get the dates and places for their pasts in order to maintain historical accuracy, and it was fun! But it also proved to me why I shouldn't really write historicals - I get too wrapped up in the research and don't write!</p>

<BR />
   <p class="text">Q) Do you find it easy to get back to writing after you get interrupted?<br />
    <br />
    A) Not always. I have to re-read what I just did and if the scene was flowing, generally, I can get right back with the flow. If it was difficult to begin with, once I get interrupted, it can be impossible to get back. It all depends.</p>
    <BR>
<p class="text">Q) Do you find it hard to name your characters, or choose locations 
  for your stories?<br />
  <br />
  A) The characters dictate the locations, so that's not really hard. Plus, I've traveled widely around the US and parts of Europe, so setting isn't hard for me. Character names are more problematic. I want strong names, but not dull ones. Once I choose the name, the character takes on what I feel are characteristics of those names, so it's very important to choose the right name from the start.</p>

<p class="text">Q) When do you do your most writing?<br />
    <br />
    A) Really anytime. When inspirations strikes. That can happen any time of the day or night, but I used to write a lot right before bed when I was working full time in Manhattan. It was the only really &quot;free&quot; time I had. I still do that from time to time. When the house is quiet and it's dark out - the rest of the world is asleep, but I'm typing, dreaming in my own little world.</p><BR />
    <p class="text">Q) Where do you write, and what does it look like? Are papers 
  scattered everywhere? Is everything all neat and organized?<br />
  <br />
  A) My offices is a MESS! I write mostly there, or on my laptop in the living room or elsewhere, but the majority of my writing work is done in my home office. Of course, I do everything there - pay bills, keep my small business afloat and other stuff - so everything is everywhere. The room is really too small to hold all of it, so that's why it's in constant chaos. My dream is to be able to buy a bigger house where I can have a larger, more organized home office with discrete areas for each of my different pursuits.</p>

<hr />
<p class="bookmenu"><b>Coming Soon:</b></p>
<p class="text">Q) Can you tell me what books you have coming out soon?<br />
    <br />
    A) My first three vampire stories are in the process of being reissued by Samhain Publishing. I've expanded all of them considerably and they've all been re-edited and rewritten in large part, so I consider them mostly &quot;new&quot; though the main plot thread remained mostly the same from their original, shorter versions. One &amp; Only comes out on Nov. 7, then Rare Vintage is scheduled for Feb. 6. Phantom Desires will most likely be out next Spring and then I'm on track for book 4 of my futuristic series, Grady's Awakening, which I'm almost finished writing right now. After that, I plan to write a new Dragon Knights book, but I haven't started it yet.<br />
    <br />

On the print side, Sweeter Than Wine just came out in print and Davin's Quest will be in print in late December. After that, FireDrake will come out in trade paperback in May and a few more are scheduled after that.</p>
<br />
<p class="text">Q) What books do you think will be published by the end of the 
  year, if any, or the beginning of 2009?<br />
  <br />
  A) By the end of 2008? Just One &amp; Only in ebook and Davin's Quest in print. I haven't got all my ducks in a row yet where other stories are concerned with other publishers, so I can't say too much about it yet. But remember, you can always check my website for the latest info. Just click on &quot;Books&quot; and then on &quot;Coming Soon.&quot;</p>

<hr />
<p class="bookmenu">Other Questions:</p>

<p class="text">Q) Do you have any advice for those that want to be a writer?<br />
    <br />
  A) Just keep writing. Don't expect the first thing you write to be published. Or the second. Just keep writing new things and eventually you'll learn enough about the process and your own way of writing to hit on something publishable. As with almost anything in life, the more you do it, the better you become.</p>
<BR />
<p class="text">Q) You have a very large mailing list; do you think it's important 
  that all authors to create a mailing list to talk to their readers? 
  Do you get ideas that help your stories from your mailing list?<br />
  <br />

A) Actually, I can't get ideas from readers for legal reasons. To be honest, story ideas are not the kinds of things we discuss anyway, but if someone were to try, I'd have to ask them not to. That's not to say that an innocent comment hasn't sparked my imagination from time to time. One reader in particular mentioned something off-handedly that took one of my characters in a whole new direction. Mostly we talk about future books, events or life in general on my chat group. My newsletter list is bigger and I believe it is important to get the news out about my books to those who want it, but there isn't any interaction on that group. I think it's important to have a newsletter available to those who want to read it.</p>
<BR />
<p class="text">Q) What was the name of the last book you read that left such a  
  strong impression that you just can't forget the book or what it was about?<br />
  <br />
  A) The entire Vatta's War series by Elizabeth Moon. It's a keeper for me. In fact, all of her space opera books are. I think they're terrific, though I could wish for more romance in them, of course! Still, as Sci-fi, it's truly memorable.</p>

</div>

Last edited by paulae; Mar 23, 2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:38 AM
HowlingScribe

4 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
You've got the basic structure intact, but it looks cramped because of so many images crowded together. If I were you, I'd just make the book cover images a lot smaller, or not have them in the body of the article at all, since you have images in the sidebar. You need to copy/paste the source code of just the center text area of your original, not the stuff in the side. Just my opinion; I don't like visual clutter.
Well, I don't either, that was why I was trying to find out how to do a page template so that I could take the regular side bars, and fill them with the author's books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
You should probably also remove the class= tags, since those won't translate to your new Wordpress installation. You can format the text after you paste it in the editing window. As far as I can see, you need to use this part, if you just want the interview text:
What do you mean the class tags won't translate? The class tags are CSS, and the script supports CSS. They are working fine actually. It took me a bit to make it work, but they do.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 03:20 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
You could put those book images into text widgets and add them to your WP pages that way, but of course remove them from the body of the article.

I guess by saying the CSS wouldn't translate, I meant "not play well with others," if you didn't mean for it to over-ride the theme's styles.