Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

WP-PostRatings Integration

Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:13 AM
coachjerry

12 posts · Sep 2009
I'm using Atahualpa 3.4.4, WordPress 2.8.4, and WP-PostRatings 1.5.

I call for ratings in the footer, with this code added in the single page footer option:
Copyright &copy, %date('Y')% %author-firstname% %author-lastname% - All Rights Reserved | %tags-linked('Tags: ', ', ', ' | ') %edit(' | ', 'Edit this post', '')% | %wp-postviews% | %wp-postratings% |<strong>%author-firstname% welcomes your rating and comments.</strong>

Is this call for WP-PostRatings sufficient? Or do I need to call for it elsewhere too?

The problem I'm having is that some of my users can't see the rating image at all (I can with the same browser and OS they have). I have seen instances where I can't rate a post even though I had not rated it before. I believe that might be associated with an initial rating of 5 stars, which may be "locking out" other ratings?

Should I be putting the PostRating code <?php if(function_exists('the_ratings')) { the_ratings(); } ?> somewhere else in the options fields or in the index?

Thanks for your help

Coachjerry
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:09 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
did you search the forums for 'WP-PostRatings'?

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 31, 2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:15 PM
coachjerry

12 posts · Sep 2009
Yes, I did search the forums. All I found was the direction to put %wp-postrating% in an option field, which I did. But I wondered if it needed to be elsewhere, too, or if the footer was not an appropriate place for it. Did I miss a forum response that would address my issue?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:32 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
What is your URL showing the issue?
I just wanted to make sure you did your homework.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 03:35 PM
coachjerry

12 posts · Sep 2009
www.fictionwritersplatform.net
Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:08 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Did you set the setting as mentioned on the ATA Post/Page Info page?

Suggested settings:
Delete <br />%RATINGS_TEXT% from the bottom of the textarea named "Ratings Vote Text:"
Delete <br />%RATINGS_TEXT% from the bottom of the textarea named "Ratings None:"
Make other changes as you see fit
Click "Save Changes"
Old Jan 1, 2010, 05:18 AM
coachjerry

12 posts · Sep 2009
Yes, I did make the suggested ratings template changes.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 07:12 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
What OS and Browser (and version) are having the problem?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:30 AM
coachjerry

12 posts · Sep 2009
Windows XP, latest service pack
Firefox 3.5.x
Internet Explorer 7 and 8

My impression is that the ratings are "frozen" after one or two different people have selected a rating. How can I check that the rating code <?php if(function_exists('the_ratings')) { the_ratings(); } ?> is getting to the right place?

I've tried putting %wp-ratings% in the footer as well as adding the shortcode [ratings] at the end of the posting, the images show up both places but I can't rate either one even though I haven't rated before.

Were you able to rate a posting?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:41 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
well if you look in bfa_postinfo.php line 529 (version 3.4.4) you will find
HTML Code:
	// For the "WP-PostRatings" plugin
	if ( strpos($postinfo_string,'%wp-postratings%') !== FALSE ) {
		$wp_postratings = ( function_exists('the_ratings') ?
        the_ratings($start_tag = 'span', $custom_id = 0, $display = FALSE) : "" );
		$postinfo = str_replace("%wp-postratings%", $wp_postratings, $postinfo);
	}
Is this what you are looking for?

What have you got set at Dashboard->Ratings->Ratings Options->Who Is Allowed To Rate? and Ratings Logging Method?

Last edited by juggledad; Jan 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 01:02 PM
coachjerry

12 posts · Sep 2009
I can't tell if that's what I'm looking for. The plugin forum shows a similar problem corrected when the user placed the code properly, as:
# Find:

<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>

# Add Anywhere Below It (The Place You Want The Ratings To Show):

<?php if(function_exists('the_ratings')) { the_ratings(); } ?>

I can't tell if it's placed properly or not. The code you indicate does show up in bfa_postinfo.php line 529, so I guess it's in the right place, but I'm not sure what else to check.

Who is allowed to rate? Registered users and guests.
Logging method? Cookie and IP, but I've switched to no logging and that didn't seem to affect the problem.

I'm starting to think this is something really simple that I'm overlooking, but have no clue what it is.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 03:21 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Try setting 'Logging method?' to 'Do not log' see if that improves things.
One possible issue is this case. Say three people are all using the same internet connection, say from home, it's Mom, Dad, and Juinor. They are all sharing an IP address, so if one of them set a rating, the others won't be able to since they are the same IP.

Ran into this with teh 'Login Lockdown' plugin at a school. It was set to lockout the IP for a half hour if three bad login attempts were made. couple teachers kept messing up and I'd get a call asking if I could unlock it.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 05:07 AM
coachjerry

12 posts · Sep 2009
I'm pretty sure I tried that, but not for an extended period. I'll turn it off now for a couple of days and see what happens. If I turn it off will the plugin allow someone to rate a post that they'd rated before it was turned off?

BTW, did you visit and try to rate? Try rating Attacked By a Sea Monster.http://www.fictionwritersplatform.ne...y-sea-monster/
Old Jan 2, 2010, 06:17 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
This seems to be a plugin issue on your site. I've installed the plugin and with the settings set to not save, I can rate a post, then I'm locked out till I refresh the page. Then I can rate the page again.
If you want to talk about this, send me a PM with your phone #
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:22 PM
coachjerry

12 posts · Sep 2009
Several users, including myself, still couldn't rate a post even though logging was shut off. So I deactivated WP-Ratings and switched to GD Star Rating. It seems to be working fine, but I wish I understood what the original problem was. Anyway, thanks so much for your help.