Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Custom Header Images

Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:54 AM
turfngurf

5 posts · Oct 2009
I am very new to Wordpress. I have been unsuccessful in changing the header images to custom ones. If someone could be so generous in giving me step by step directions, it would be so very much appreciated. From Admin login to finish.... I am so very new.... I would very much appreciate it.... donations would be given. Thank you so much!!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 03:47 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I assume you are taking about the header images. What you need to do is FTP your images into the wordpress/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/header folder and remove the ones that are in there.

Once you have the images in that folder you can play with the auto rotating timing in the theme to make them rotate or set the time to 0 and it will only rotate when you switch or refresh pages.

You will need to know
1) the host name
2) your userid and password for gettig to the host
4) and you will need an FTP program

once you get access, you want to navagate to the wordpress/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/header folder and put the images there.

I'm sorry I can't be more precise, but each host has a different hostname setup and each FTP program works a little different. I use 'Fetch' on the Mac.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:22 AM
turfngurf

5 posts · Oct 2009
Thank you for the reply.... Do I download Fetch? I have a mac as well. I have tried to upload the images to the directory and have been unsuccessful. Is this because I have not used a FTP program? What is an FTP program?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:53 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
FTP = File Transfer Protocol(or Program) it is a program that will move a file from your computer to the host (upload - think of the host being up on a hill, so you 'upload from your computer to it, or 'download' from teh host to your computer.

Fetch is good, it is the one I use. When you start it it will come up with a 'New Connection' window.
In the 'Hostname' field put your host (for comcast it would be upload.comcast.net, for most sites it would be something like domain_name.org (or 'com' or 'info' etc)

In 'username' enter your username
In 'Connect using' select 'FTP'
in 'Password' enter your password

let everything else default and see if you can get connected.

Next you have to 'navagate' to your WordPress folder - If you see a folder called 'wordpress' click on it then click on the 'wp-contents' folder, then the 'themes' folder, then 'atahualpa', then 'images' and finally 'headers'

If you didn't see the wordpress folder but see a 'WWW' alias click on that then you may see 'wordpress' or your user name or domain name. Click on each to see if you can find the 'wordpress folder. Once you find it, follow the steps above.

Now that you are in the folder, you should first get rid out the original images. Highlight all three and go to the top of the SCREEN (the line the open apple is on) and click on the 'Remote' item and select the submenu item 'Delete Item(s). This will delete the items from that menu

Next to upload your pictures, select the 'PUT' icon in the WINDOW (it's a icon of a world with an arrow pointing into it from the botton) and then navagate to the location on your comuter where the images are and click teh 'PUT' button. That should do it, our images should be uploaded and you should now be able to see them in the header
Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:58 AM
turfngurf

5 posts · Oct 2009
I put in my domain... realestaterescueman.com... and for the user name and password tried putting in the admin name and password for wordpress. Is this right?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:07 AM
turfngurf

5 posts · Oct 2009
Thank you so much again....Im sorry if this is trying for you... I really do appreciate it
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:26 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
No, these names are not the wordpress admin name and password.

When you setup your account with the Host provider, you should have gotten a userid and password so you could login to their control panel. That's the name and password you would use.

Who is your host?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:41 AM
turfngurf

5 posts · Oct 2009
Bluehost...confirmation email was sent via simplescripts
Old Oct 2, 2009, 12:29 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Bluehost has a video tutorial for using cyberduck on the mac, take a look at it.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 05:08 PM
dee

14 posts · Jul 2009
Maryland
I have figure this out and it took a while but I got it. Now I can't figure out how to resize the images so that they fit across the entire page. Anything special I need to pay attention to?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 05:35 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
when looking for a picture for the header, make sure you start thinking wide and short. when you take a picture landscapes are good, closeups are bad (not easy to trim). One suggestion I give is take a peice of paper and cut a one inch by eight inch rectangle out of it. Now hold this a 1 1/2 away from your eyes and look at what you can see. This is what your header will look like, but the photo will be the 8 1/2 X 11 that the paper takes up. you only get to use a small piece.

next you have to determine how wide you want your webpage to be. Because of the bigger monitors, I've picked 1440px as my width and have a height of 250 (you can take a look at zenofmud.org - haven't updated it much lately, it's mainly a family blog)

Since you have a MAC, I suggest getting EASYCROP (http://www.yellowmug.com/) which makes cropping images a snap (sorry any windows folks reading this) Just drop an image on the left, move the crop bar around and then drag the image in the right window, to the desktop and it's cropped.

Then FTP it to the site