Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Magazine style table on front page

Old Apr 30, 2009, 08:12 PM
shakespearesedge

4 posts · Apr 2009
Boston, MA
Hi there,

How can I make the center column display posts in cells of a table - like most of the magazine themes out there??

Thanks,
S
Old May 1, 2009, 07:24 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Hey S!

I'm not an expert, either with Atahualpa or, certainly with other themes, but when I inspect both Atahualpa's multiple post and single post pages with Firebug I see that the center body area IS contained within a table structure: <td>s, <tr>s, etc.

Sidebar: It would be better if Atahualpa were NOT using tables to format pages as it is not considered especially accessible-friendly. These days you're only supposed to use a table to display tabular data (eg. an Excel spreadsheet).

That issue aside, what is it you're hoping to do? I'm guessing that any change to info or formatting you want to make to your posts will be accomplished in the Atahualpa Theme Options in either the "Post/Page Info Items" or "Post/Page Styling" tabs.
Old May 1, 2009, 09:49 AM
shakespearesedge

4 posts · Apr 2009
Boston, MA
Hey Jim. Thanks very much for your reply. I just don't like the "linier" way that my posts display on the site's homepage: one under the other. What I'd prefer is the ability to have little boxes in which I could post little excerpts of posts from across my catagories so that the homepage shows more of the content of my site - instead of just the most recent posts, etc. And I didn't know about the table thing, so thanks for that..
Old May 1, 2009, 06:36 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Hey S!

I don't know about grabbing a "selection" of posts from various categories -- the standard WP "blogroll" lays out the posts chronologically. I wouldn't be surprized if there weren't a plugin that would solve that problem for you.

As far as "little boxes" -- go to "Atahualpa Theme Options" in Appearance, then to the "Post/Page Styling" tab -- I put

border: solid 3px red;
padding: 10px;

in the "POST Container" box and it created http://www.shepherdjim.com/blogg -- that red box also surrounds single posts on single post pages. Without the 10 pixels of padding the post text runs right up against the red border.

May 2, 2009 -- BTW -- I'm going to remove the red border lines on my ShepherdJim w/site now that you've had a chance to see them. I did note that the borders were NOT appearing JUST around posts on single and multiple post pages, they were also showing around the text blocks on page pages.

WP automatically creates excerpts (160 words?) for display on multi-post pages, You can stiplulate your own excerpt breaks by inserting the "read more" tag when creating a post. You can format the "read more" in the Atahualpa "Read More" tag tab.

There's more info about "read more" in the WP codex also.

Good luck!

Last edited by Shepherd Jim; May 2, 2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:56 AM
shakespearesedge

4 posts · Apr 2009
Boston, MA
Jim, many many thanks! I'll keep looking and keep you apprised of my findings.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:30 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespearesedge
Jim, many many thanks! I'll keep looking and keep you apprised of my findings.
Sounds like a plan!

Housekeeping Suggestion: you might want to "close" this thread for the time being = up to the right, click on "Thread Tools" and then choose "Solved" from the dropdown.

BTW -- I'm going to remove the red border lines on my ShepherdJim w/site now that you've had a chance to see them. I did note that the borders were NOT appearing JUST around posts on single and multiple post pages, they were also showing around the text blocks on page pages.

Don't forget to come back to BytesForAll periodically. Flynn's about to announce a new theme that sounds like Atahualpa on steroids.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:33 AM
shakespearesedge

4 posts · Apr 2009
Boston, MA
Will do, and thanks again, my friend!