Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] child themes or plugins? for tweaks I made to index.php in ATA

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:11 AM
derekwbeck

151 posts · Nov 2010
[SOLVED] child themes or plugins? for tweaks I made to index.php in ATA

Okay, so you remember the good old days, when we could put php before, in, after the loop? Well, then WP got strict, forced ATA to turn this off. So I, like many, started hard-coding the tweaks into index.php. But then, with every ATA update, I get slightly annoyed and don't want to update, for the dread of editing my index.php yet again. There's got to be a better way.

I'm slowly learning of plugins, and got my header.php updated this way now. But, how do I do things like:

Code:
<?php include("social-sitemenu.php"); ?>
right before this line index.php:
Code:
<?php bfa_next_previous_page_links('Top'); // For MULTI post pages if activated at ATO -> Next/Previous Navigation:  ?>
Or,

How do I replace this line of index.php:
Code:
<?php bfa_post_headline('<div class="post-headline">','</div>'); ?> <!--original-->
with
Code:
<?php if (!is_page()) {bfa_post_headline('<div class="post-headline">','</div>'); } ?>

Or, lastly, how do I do this sort of stuff in the loop:
Code:
<?php 
			if ( is_front_page() OR is_page() ) { 
				/*do nothing, no social menu on pages*/
			} else { if ( is_single() ) {
				include("social-postmenu.php");
			} }
?>
How do I accomplish things like the above? Do I need to learn child themes? Can I do it with a custom-made plugin (and if so, what hooks do I use to make this stuff happen?) Are there any sticky posts on life with ATA after the no-php inserts?

Thanks,
Derek