Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

Excerpt question

Old Jan 28, 2009, 03:54 PM
wwday3

3 posts · Jan 2009
Wow. After searching for and looking at a billion and one themes, you would think I'd have come accross this gem before now. Coolest theme I think I've seen.

I have a question about the excerpt functionality on index pages. It does not look like the "continue reading..." text works without the <more> tag? What happens if you want everything to appear excerpted, even if the <more> tag is missing? I really don't want to mess around with the theme files to override this.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:13 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I guess you've already looked at Atahualpa Theme Options -> "Read More" Tag

So you want the content of that tag to be used for all page types that you've set to show excerpts at Atahualpa Theme Options -> Posts or Excerpts

That's a good idea, I had not thought about that, but I looked and it seems that WP's default excerpt function is not prepared to do that.

I will try to work around that and include it as a feature in one of the next releases but there seems to be no quick fix for this.

There is a plugin though that does all kinds of things with the excerpts, including setting the length, I just don't remember which one it was. Maybe you can find it at http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/

Thanks for the idea and sorry that I couldn't help more
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:14 PM
wwday3

3 posts · Jan 2009
Hi. Thanks for the response.

In the past I've set up blogs so that all index page posts are rendered as excerpts (whether they have the more tag or not). The, I actually go into the index page template and "hard code" a "continue reading..." link. That way the reader always knows how to proceed. I really don't want to mess with your template source and risk breaking the theme....