Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

How to change the default Avatar

Old May 13, 2009, 02:19 PM
whatsmytruth

7 posts · Apr 2009
I want to use a different default Avatar for those users who post that don't use Gravatar. The default is currently this image

and I want to change it to something else (another image). I have tried changing the

comments-paged.php
legacy.comments.php

files that are pointing to the file no-gravatar.gif to my new file but still no go. Also I have placed the new file in the wp-content/themes/atahualpa332/images folder where the no-gravatar.gif file is and even tried naming the new file to no-gravatar.gif and nothing seems to work. It always seems to use the default image that came with Atahualpa. Users using Gravatars works fine. I am using version 3.3.2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.whatsmytruth.com/hockey
Old May 13, 2009, 07:50 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
If you replaced no-gravatar.gif then it should work. Perhaps a WP Cache 2 / WP Super Cache / Browser Cache issue, or you did not successfully overwrite the existing no-gravatar.gif
Old May 14, 2009, 07:13 AM
whatsmytruth

7 posts · Apr 2009
here is my code in the comments-paged.php file

$default = urlencode(get_bloginfo('template_directory') . '/images/hockeypuck.jpg');

as you can see I changed it to hockeypuck.jpg

here is my code in the legacy.comments.php file

$default = urlencode(get_bloginfo('template_directory') . '/images/hockeypuck.jpg');

and hockeypuck.jpg is in the images folder where the no-gravatar.gif file is. On my dashboard under settings/discussion it lists 6 gravatars

Default Avatar
For users without a custom avatar of their own, you can either display a generic logo or a generated one based on their e-mail address.

Mystery Man
Blank
Gravatar Logo
Identicon
Wavatar
MonsterID

I have selected Mystery Man on my dashboard under settings/discussion- which still has the old picture there too. Which should use the image file no-gravatar.gif (now changed to hockeypuck.jpg). I have cleared out my browser cache and have refreshed the page several times and my test messages still shows Mystery Man image...getting very frustrated

UPDATE: If I right click on the picture and do a view image on a comment, it brings up a new page with this URL

http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/ad516...bb6523536?s=60

so somewhere in the code it is saying to use the Mystery Man from Gravatar and not the one from the image folder? Am I correct on this assumption?

Last edited by whatsmytruth; May 14, 2009 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Status Update
Old May 14, 2009, 10:24 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The theme's own gravatar functions is only used in WP versions without built in gravatar support. Edit functions/bfa_recent_comments.php

<?php if ($args['avatar_size'] != 0) echo get_avatar( $comment, $args['avatar_size'] ); ?>

to

<?php if ($args['avatar_size'] != 0) echo get_avatar( $comment, $args['avatar_size'], 'URL_of_AVATAR_IMAGE' ); ?>
Old May 14, 2009, 10:50 AM
whatsmytruth

7 posts · Apr 2009
U rock! U are the man. I looked in the bfa_recent_comments.php file for the code you mentioned and couldn't find it. I then kept looking through the other php files in the Functions folder and found bfa_comment_walker.php and it was in there. Made the changes you suggested and works like a charm!
Old May 14, 2009, 07:39 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You're using an older version then, bfa_walker_comments.php doesn't exist anymore in 3.3.3 I'll make this an option in 3.3.4