Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

"Older Posts" Pages Just Show Same 10 Posts!

Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:32 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
Using: Atahualpa 3.6.7; Wordpress 3.2.1

When I press the "older posts" link at the bottom of the page, it just shows the same (most recent) posts over and over again!
http://sierraclubcalifornia.org/page/1/ .../page/2/ .../page/3/ .../page/4/, etc. all show the same content.

Help! Please!!!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:46 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
What are your permalinks set to? Try setting your permalinks to the default and see what happens.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:22 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Are you using a template?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:47 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
What are your permalinks set to? Try setting your permalinks to the default and see what happens.
I have the permalinks set to "Day and name" - /%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/
When I set it to default, none of my pages worked except the home page.

My category and tag bases are set to default.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:49 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Are you using a template?
...not that I know of? I'm not sure what you mean by that. I have seen nothing on the dashboard that would imply that, and I know there isn't anything like that added to the code...
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:05 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
When I set it to default, none of my pages worked except the home page.
when you do this, doest the 'older posts' work?

is this site in a subfolder?
using ftp, go to the wordpress root folder - is there an htaccess file there?
next go to the parent folder of the wordpress older - is there an htaccess there?
repeat this process till you get to the root folder

all of the htaccess files will be processed so they might be effecting each other
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:15 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
Quote:
when you do this, doest the 'older posts' work?
No. When I change to "default", though the url changes from .../page/# to .../?paged=# and the page does show up, it has the same issue. It still only shows the first ten entries.

Quote:
is this site in a subfolder?
using ftp, go to the wordpress root folder - is there an htaccess file there?
next go to the parent folder of the wordpress older - is there an htaccess there?
repeat this process till you get to the root folder

all of the htaccess files will be processed so they might be effecting each other
Yes, it is in a subfolder. I have found two .htaccess files, one in the wordpress folder and one in it's parent folder. Should I delete one? Which one? (they do have the same content, though...)
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:29 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
Well, I tried removing each .htaccess file and seeing what happened. Without the one in the parent folder, the page broke; but without the one in the wordpress folder it was still ok, so I deleted that one.

It did not fix the issue, though =(
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:54 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
OK, I've figured out what caused this: I put added
PHP Code:
    <?php if (is_home()) { query_posts("cat=-39"); } ?>
inside the loop (index.php) to skip a category of posts I don't want to show up. When I took that out, "older entries" started working again.
Which leads to the question: how do I hide that category? Was that code wrong, or should I have put it somewhere else or something?

Thanks so much for your help, you guys!!!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:21 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
ok - so I think I may have solved it?
I now added this code above the loop and it seems to be going ok.
PHP Code:
<?php $paged = (get_query_var('paged')) ? get_query_var('paged') : 1?>
    <?php if (is_home()) {query_posts('cat=-39&paged='.$paged); } ?>
Would you mind just telling me whether that was a good move, or will it end up messing something up I don't know about yet, like I ended up doing the first time?