Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Add Widgets to Center Column Front Page Only

Old Aug 8, 2009, 12:52 PM
MountainStream

6 posts · Aug 2009
I would like to add widgets to the front page only in the center column. Additionally, I would like to only have 2 blog posts on the front page. The widgets would go under the blog posts.

I have the adding widget to center column figured out, but it goes on all the pages not just the front page.

Can any one help me with the code and where to put it?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 02:55 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Try the plugin "Widget Logic"
Old Aug 9, 2009, 03:30 PM
MountainStream

6 posts · Aug 2009
I don't get it. There's no instructions for Widget Logic and I don't see anything about this 'plugin' in the admin panel outside of editing it. I don't see how that is going to answer my original question.

And the funny thing just happened. I found in the WordPress settings the abilities to limit the number of posts on the front page. Tested it out, and when I cut it to two it the software added a numbered navigation bar at the bottom, and duplicated the widget areas.

What's causing that? There really has to be a better way of doing this.

Last edited by MountainStream; Aug 9, 2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 03:55 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
If you google "widget logic", the first result leads to http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-logic/

Download the plugin from there, install it at your site, then all widgets will have an extra field where you can put Wordpress conditional tags such as

is_single() AND in_category('Cheese')

to limit the widget to specific pages. The above example would limit the display of this particular widget to single pages of posts filed under the category "Cheese". See http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags for more Conditional Tags. You can group or combine these tags endlessly with AND and OR and brackets ( ... )
Old Aug 9, 2009, 04:21 PM
dan.s.ward

4 posts · Aug 2009
Widget Logic is cool but it does not help get widgets in the center column of a page.

It would be nice if there was a way to add a widget area to the content area of a page without editing the theme's code.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 09:32 PM
MountainStream

6 posts · Aug 2009
I agree with you Dan. Shouldn't have to write a ton of code to put a widget area in the center column.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:13 PM
Sakshin

66 posts · Aug 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I'm on the same track. Needing to divide the center colom into 2 coloms. Anybody any suggestions?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:32 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Please start a new thread. There are 3 different questions in this thread now
Old Aug 11, 2009, 09:04 AM
Sakshin

66 posts · Aug 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I will but it seems I don't have the right privilages to start a new threat. But now I'm here, i found something here http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...35&postcount=7 but it doesn't work for me. Could you tell me if this is suitable for atahualpa? please?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 01:25 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Are you sure? Did you click on the "New Thread" button? You cannot post in the Gold forum if you mean that, that one is read only, but all other forums should work.

What you posted is just some HTML and CSS to have two columns side by side. Sure you can do that in Atahualpa. The much more complicated issue will be to split the posts to be displayed in two columns. Please start a new thread for this.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:51 PM
Sakshin

66 posts · Aug 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I did open a new thread about it and you can find it here http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=2948