Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] Can I create child themes with Atahualpa?

Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:00 PM
Gilbert

4 posts · Nov 2010
I saw in some blog post that Atahualpa is a theme framework. Thus, I would like to know whether or not I can create a theme child for it?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:58 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Atahualpa is a theme with a lot of configuration options. What is it you are trying to accomplish that can't be done within the options?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
Gilbert

4 posts · Nov 2010
Larry,

I want to make customize it and use plug-ins such as BBPress, BuddyPress and others.
I know I can do that, but I want to know if before starting I can create a child theme, so when new releases of Atahualpa get available I don't have to redo the customization (CSS and PHP) all over again.

I have read a little about using a framework and creating child themes allow to keep the customizations in the child theme, so when the framework (in this case Atahualpa) gets updated, everything still works as expected. Is that correct?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 05:21 PM
kdawes01

102 posts · May 2009
Missoula, MT
Hi Gilbert,
Like Larry said, Atahualpa comes with *many* options that pretty much eliminate the need for child themes. ATA lets you make CSS modifications that will survive an upgrade. (and much more!)

That being said, I sometimes make Atahualpa child themes for the express purpose of having a functions.php file with some custom php in it that doesn't get overwritten during an Atahualpa theme upgrade.

It's also handy to put a editor-style.css file that lets you add some tweaks to the WordPress page/post editor appearance and keep them separate from the theme files.

Last edited by kdawes01; Nov 22, 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 05:23 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Atahualpa is designed with the idea that you never have to edit the theme files for styling or adding php code. That is all typically done within the theme setting. The theme setting are all stored in the database thus when you update you won't lose the settings. You will have to copy over images into the new image folders however. You can also export the theme settings as a backup or as a way to implement those setting on another Atahualpa installation.

Also it is recommended to use the manual update method for the theme as outlined in the New Versions and updating forum.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:25 AM
Gilbert

4 posts · Nov 2010
Ken and Larry,

Thanks for answering my questions. I guess I have to relearn ho to think about frameworks.

I will start experimenting to get used to the way ATA works.