Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating » Old Version fixes and change logs »

Atahualpa 3.7.11 - how to save your header images across updates

Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:50 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
NOTE: some users have reported that using the '../../' redirection triggers a security error eror on their hosts. This has been changed in 3.7.12

With the release of version 3.7.11 there is a new option in the 'Header Image' section of the theme options. This new option 'Header Images Directory' defines where your header images will be stored. It defaults to the themes 'images/header' folder.

You can point to a folder in your 'wp-content' folder by prefixing the folder name with some updirectory pointers. For example: say you add a folder to the 'wp-contents' folder called 'header-images'. to point to that folder you would enter '../../header-images' and you would now get your images from there.

The way it works is that each '../' moves you up a directory. you start in the 'atahualpa' folder so you are here:
HTML Code:
wp-root/wp-contents/themes/atahualpa
the first '../' moves you to the 'themes folder
HTML Code:
wp-root/wp-contents/themes
the second '../' moves you to the 'wp-content' folder
HTML Code:
wp-root/wp-contents
and now you can name a folder that is in the wp-content folder ie 'header-images' so you are at
HTML Code:
wp-root/wp-contents/header-images
and that is where the images will be grabbed from.

Since this is outside of the theme folder, an update of the theme code will not tougch your images and since the path to the folder is a theme option, it will remain across updates.

MULTISITE since each multisite has it's own set of tables, each site can point to a diferent folder, so you could have
../../site01-hdr-images
../../site02-hdr-images
../../site03-hdr-images
etc, etc

For Logo's and Favicons see the thread How to: save your LOGO/FAVICON images over an upgrades in the 'FAQ - Atahualpa' forum

Last edited by juggledad; Apr 18, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:03 AM
--yeah--wow

Hi Juggledad,

Great new addition that I know a lot of people will like. Updating Atahualpa became a lot easier with the new save-your-headers-across-updates function! Thanks!

Favicons have the same issue as headers. They get lost in updates if you are not careful. Wouldn't it be nice to have the same solution for favicons too? Is this something that can be added to the next release?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:24 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
take a look at the 'FAQ - Atahualpa' forum in the header section. There is a solution for Logo and Favicon there.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:47 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Yes, this is great! I second the request for the same persistence for our custom favicons.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 06:20 AM
vrielance

12 posts · Jan 2013
I tried this and now my whole site is gone!!! Even after changing it back to the original setting, my site is completely gone. http://ayurveda-hengelo.com

Please help
Old Mar 1, 2013, 06:27 AM
vrielance

12 posts · Jan 2013
Luckily I got my site back...

I created a subdirectory header_images in my .../wp-content

My original images are in .../wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/header

So this means that I have to enter ../../../../header_images into ATA Header Images Directory?

Thanks

Marco
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:30 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
No, you would use ../../header_images

The reason is the option is starting in the Atahualpa folder - ie
HTML Code:
yourdomain.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa
The default for the option is 'images/header' - this points at
HTML Code:
yourdomain.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/header
but you only need to move up two levels to get to wp-content
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:55 PM
vrielance

12 posts · Jan 2013
ok thanks got it
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:29 PM
vrielance

12 posts · Jan 2013
oops spoke too soon.... I changed the file location and the headers were gone... I changed it back to the original state and still all white... And suddenly my header is clickable, it wasn't before. Is this a java issue?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:32 PM
vrielance

12 posts · Jan 2013
and it get's weirder: when I click on the header the image changes to the next, but there's one image blank (the most important one)
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:33 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Are you moving the atahualpa/images/header folder? If so you should not. Create a new folder
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:41 PM
vrielance

12 posts · Jan 2013
no no, I only created the new folder, copied the images via ftp, set the option in ata to point like this: ../../header_images
Old Mar 1, 2013, 04:04 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
does the folder have the same permissions as the header folder?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 04:13 PM
vrielance

12 posts · Jan 2013
yes, and I changed everything back to the original state and problem remains. I can toggle clickable header now, but images do not rotate and one image dissapeared from header area. Do you see the same? Maybe I should just empty cache and restart?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 05:50 PM
vrielance

12 posts · Jan 2013
I was about to give up the fight for today, when I decided to take one shot in the dark and restart in Windows (I mostly work in Linux), and recopy all the images to the specified folders. To my amazement it worked immediately!

Don't know how, but I solved it. Thanks for your efforts juggledad