Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

background image not showing, so what have I done wrong

Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:00 AM
tlck9

151 posts · Aug 2010
HI Guys,

I'm really struggling and I dont know why, so it must be something really simple that I'm missing

I have saved my image as show below

The website address is www.surfproduce.co.uk, I wanted to get the background to show the following image, it was sized at 1200 x 900

wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/images/background_fluin1200.jpg

I thought I had to change the background under the BODY, LINKS, TEXT and added
background: url(http://www./wp-content/themes/atahua..._fluin1200.jpg) repeat top left;

but all it has done is changed the original grey background to white

Please can you help, before I pull my hair out!!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:55 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Your background code is incorrect. You shouldn't have the http://www. at the beginning. It should be more like the following. Of course you need to fill in the the rest of the ending.

HTML Code:
background: url(/wp-content/themes/atahua..._fluin1200.jpg) repeat top left;
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:09 AM
tlck9

151 posts · Aug 2010
thank you I have managed to achieve that, with your help.

If I wanted to keep the background static and have the centre content scoll down, so as I scroll down the background doesnt move

http://www.surfproduce.co.uk/
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:41 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
It looks like you figured it out.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:47 AM
tlck9

151 posts · Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Yes, just, thanks again. I added this, that I found on the forum repeat-y center center fixed;

Just got to get the sizing right as on my imac the picture has gaps but on my dell laptop its right up close...some more digging now I am feeling my way around it
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:47 AM
ctabor1

5 posts · Nov 2010
Clearwater, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Hi!
I'm new and not a much of a developer but learning WP slow but sure with the help of this template. You did not answer the previous comment/question (only that he "figured it out") and it was really just what I was looking for...

I put a background in but I want to be fixed... I've tried different things and it either breaks everything or disappears.

I see that code snippet above (repeat-y center center fixed but doesn't seem I would want it centered... and isn't "repeat-y" saying YES to repeat? I want the background to stay fixed, and the body to scroll up and down... (I guess that's how you describe it)... (told you I was a newbie)

ALSO... related to this: I have NO background in IE8... so far can only see in FF and Chrome (surprise!)... and I think my friend on her Mac said she could not see it.

Can you help me with this?

In addition, I was trying to find out if there is a reasonable way to NOT have the rotating header on all the other pages in the site... I am going to have many pages, and it seems redundant. Do I have any options for that?

THANK YOU... Here is where the current site build is: http://www.testsite1.tampaclearwaterwebservices.com
Christine
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:25 PM
tlck9

151 posts · Aug 2010
Hi Ctabor1

If you check out my site now, I think this is what you are looking to achieve. Only on a big screen does my background repeat say on a 21" screen and only top to bottom.

I use firefox on a mac and this is a screenshot of your website. Hope this helps you see what I see

http://kustominteriors.co.uk/MyPhotos/screenshot.png

I had to cut the middle from my photo and stretch it in photo shop. Then I had to reduce the centre layout width - off the top of my head I cant remember which setting that is, will take a look when I can login to WP

Although I dont want my centre that small in width, so I need to understand what I can do, so anyone reading this with any hints...
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:15 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctabor1
Hi!
I'm new and not a much of a developer but learning WP slow but sure with the help of this template. You did not answer the previous comment/question (only that he "figured it out") and it was really just what I was looking for...

I put a background in but I want to be fixed... I've tried different things and it either breaks everything or disappears.

I see that code snippet above (repeat-y center center fixed but doesn't seem I would want it centered... and isn't "repeat-y" saying YES to repeat? I want the background to stay fixed, and the body to scroll up and down... (I guess that's how you describe it)... (told you I was a newbie)

ALSO... related to this: I have NO background in IE8... so far can only see in FF and Chrome (surprise!)... and I think my friend on her Mac said she could not see it.

Can you help me with this?

In addition, I was trying to find out if there is a reasonable way to NOT have the rotating header on all the other pages in the site... I am going to have many pages, and it seems redundant. Do I have any options for that?

THANK YOU... Here is where the current site build is: http://www.testsite1.tampaclearwaterwebservices.com
Christine
It looks like you too got it fixed but just in case someone else is looking for the answer you put fixed at the end of your background code. Here is an example.
background: #000000 url(/wpcontent/themes/atahualpa353/images/background-image.jpg) no-repeat center top fixed;
The color at the beginning is the background color if you don't repeat the image or if you use a transparent image. The next is repeat which can be none or repeaty-y (vertically) or repeat-x (horizonally) and center top is the positioning.

All this info is easily searchable on w3schools.com