Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Page menu: highlight a parent as current, even when on a subpage

Old May 16, 2010, 05:52 AM
andd

2 posts · Apr 2009
Hello, I'm looking for some help with highlighting the current page in the page menu.

My website (here) has the following structure:

Home
Services
Portfolio
Non-fiction books
末末Series Title 1
末末末末Title 1
末末末末Title 2
末末末末Title 3
末末Series Title 2
末末末末Title 1
末末末末Title 2
Educational books
末末Series Title 1
末末末末Title 1
末末末末Title 2

About
Imprint

(Pages in Bold are excluded from the menu bar)

The pages 'Non fiction books' and 'Educational books', with their subpages, are actually part of the portfolio section, and although 'non fiction' and 'educational' are on the same heirarchal level as 'Portfolio', I have excluded them from the page menu. However, I would like the 'portfolio' button to remain highlighted when I am on these other pages and subpages. Until ATA 3.4.9 was released I was using page IDs and classes to do this, but having problems getting it to work in all versions of Internet Explorer (I'm far from being any kind of code writing expert btw). ATA 3.4.9 had a new css insert which overcame the Internet Explorer issues, however it doesn't use page IDs, or at least not in a way I recognise.

Attached is the code I used to create my main navigation before I replaced it with the ATA 3.4.9 solution. It's an unordered list contained in a table so a touch clunky and undynamic, I know, but it largely worked until it encountered Internet Explorer.

Also attached is the code from ATA 3.4.9 with some mods to suit my design and an addition to achieve the current page highlighting.

My question(s):

What should I do to the former, clunky table-based system to make it work in Internet Explorer (v7+)? or should I persist with the better, more dynamic and streamlined ATA code, and find a way to get the subpages showing as current.

Many thanks
Anthony

BTW I know about the rounded corners in IE and am accepting that limitation.
Attached Files
File Type: txt header table rounded corners 3.txt (2.6 KB, 1874 views)
File Type: txt menu bar ATA349.txt (3.3 KB, 1770 views)