Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

Nivo slider incompatibility?

Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:06 PM
amelia99

10 posts · Jan 2013
Hi,

I'm new here and not very well versed in PHP (well not at all, other than what I've learned from reading this forum and some of the documentation I could find on WordPress). So apologies in advance for the not-very-bright question.

Using the oik nivo slider plugin. It seems to work, but if one of the images is clicked, the following error displays:

Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/newingto/public_html/wp/wp-content/themes/montezuma/includes/breadcrumbs.php on line 56

Tried disabling all plugins except oik-base and oik-nivo-slider. No change.

Tried testing with a different theme and plugins reactivated. Twenty Eleven worked fine--no crash when the image was clicked.

Not sure if it's related, but the same crash occurs if I click View on an image in the Media Library.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:48 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
well I installed the two plugins but Inothing happens to me. However I didn't do anything but activate them, so..
please provide detailed numbered steps as to how you use the plugins - what you put where
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:38 PM
amelia99

10 posts · Jan 2013
Thanks for taking a look...

Here are some more details.

The slider instructions say to activate both oik-base and the nivo slider plugins. Did that.

The settings for the slider, under oik options, Nivo settings, I set at Effect-fade, and checked these: control nav, direction nav, pause on hover, manual advance.

The instructions for the slider plugin are to upload the photos for the slider, but not insert them into the page. Here they are:

-Install the oik plugin.
-Activate the oik base plugin.
-Install the oik-nivo-slider plugin
-Activate the oik-nivo-slider plugin
-Create a new post, page or other content type
-Upload some media, attaching the images to the current post or page. Ensure that all the images are the same size.
-For each image set the Title to the text you want to appear for each image in the slideshow
-Do NOT insert the images into the content… that’s [nivo]’s job
-Insert the [nivo] shortcode into your post, page.
-Publish and View

So I did that. In the page where I'm using the plugin, all I have is the shortcode and a couple of options, so it reads:
[nivo theme=light caption=n]. Once the images were uploaded, I couldn't find anywhere to see which ones would be included in the slider. (That is when I noticed that trying to view an image from the Media Library caused the same crash.)

Thanks again...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:10 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
-Upload some media, attaching the images to the current post or page. Ensure that all the images are the same size.
what steps did you follow to do this part?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:59 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I just took a few minutes playing with the oik plugins. Based on my experimentation I would be looking for a different slider. The support forum even has some threads that it is not compatible with WP 3.5. It looks like you have to attach images to posts and this functinoality changed with later versions of WP.

Is there some reason you want to use this slider rather than one of the many others that list themselves as compatible with WordPress 3.5?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:24 PM
amelia99

10 posts · Jan 2013
Hi juggledad,

My images were all the same size (though later notes in the documentation for the slider say that's no longer necessary and that the slider would handle various sizes).
Here's what I did:
-In Edit Page, selected Add Media.
-Chose the images from the Media Library, then closed the window since the directions said not to insert the images into the page. The plugin must have somehow found the images, though there was no indication of which ones were assigned to the slider.

Thanks very much for looking at this. I appreciate your time.

Hi lmilesw,

Thank you for looking at this. I didn't even realize the slider wasn't compatible with 3.5 and no, I have no good reason (especially now) for wanting to use it. Have started looking for another one.

This is a really nice community. I'm used to muddling through on my own--what a nice change.

Thank you both again.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Hopefully you will fine a slider that is a bit easier to use. I'll close this thread.