Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Category Page Revisited

Old Jul 24, 2009, 07:46 PM
gungo

31 posts · Jul 2009
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Not sure if the new versions are getting me confused after following some of the existing threads;

I've installed the newer version of Category Page 2.5 plugin (not Cat2Page).
WordPress version 2.8.2
Atahualpa version 3.4.1

I see that there is a line of code for cat2page in the 'above the loop' section as promised in some earlier threads.

If I go to a page and insert [catlist=3] then I get the bulleted list of postings.

However, what I need is the page information iinserted above the category list.
What I get is ARCHIVE FOR THE 'Category Name' CATEGORY and then the posts follow (no page information inserted above).

I checked that the page is associated with the category.

I found on some threads that I should change IS_Archive to IS_Category on line 15 of index.php. but I can't find any references to either of these terms anywhere in index.php. I assume that was an earlier version.

What am I doing wrong?
I'm very impressed with the theme and its perfect for my sites - if only I could get this plug-in to work so I could display general information summary before the category listing....

Any feedback would be appreciated... and if category page works - a good donation!

Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:22 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Hi, I don't believe you are doing anythiong wrong, it looks like Category Page 2.5 is no longer working. 1) the plugin says it is compatible up to 2.5
2) the author hasn't responded to a issue on the WordPress forums in 4 months
3) the plugin support forum gets a 'Internal Server error'
4) many people are having problems with it using different themes (google search)

the only way I've been able to get it to work is create a page and in the text of the page use the [catlist=x] tag, where x= the category id. None of the other functionality of the plugin seems to work.

So...use at your own risk. If you finds a way to get it to do more than display one category, please let us know

Last edited by juggledad; Aug 3, 2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:39 AM
gungo

31 posts · Jul 2009
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Thanks!

I've had a programmer create the same effect, but no idea how he did it...
The plugin would have allowed me to do it on my own...

I'll search around and see if I find another option and post the results...
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:11 PM
lhanft

88 posts · Jul 2009
Cleveland, OH
Let us know if you find anything!
Old Jul 25, 2009, 09:18 PM
gungo

31 posts · Jul 2009
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Has anyone tried using the Blog Introduction plugin?
It looks like it might work...
Old Jul 26, 2009, 09:01 PM
lhanft

88 posts · Jul 2009
Cleveland, OH
Blog Introduction? sounds promising. Let us know.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:07 PM
gungo

31 posts · Jul 2009
San Juan, Puerto Rico
The Blog Introduction plug-in works great...

A little difficult to figure out at first, until you realize that you have to change the permalink naming to match their formats (must include the corresponding category slug in the permalink - ie: slug-cat-intro) and then make the page private.

After this, it shows up at the top of your category listing with whatever content you put on the private page that has the special permalink.

There is also code to accommodate home page, archives, etc.
Easy to insert CSS to format the look of titles, spacing, etc.

This should help anyone who needed the Category Pages plug-in that doesn't work anymore.

Works with Atahualpa with no extra modification.

Have Fun!

Last edited by gungo; Jul 27, 2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:26 PM
lhanft

88 posts · Jul 2009
Cleveland, OH
Oh good, I'll have to try it.

But I don't follow: why do you need to make the page private?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 04:29 AM
gungo

31 posts · Jul 2009
San Juan, Puerto Rico
If you don't make the page private, it will show up as its own item in any page menu that you use...
By making it 'private', it does show up as the category intro, but doesn't muck up your menus...
However, it does work if the page is 'public' - you'd just see the info twice - once on its own and another time as the intro to the category...

Play around with it and see what works best for you... If I didn't make mine private, I would have had to go and individually exclude the pages from my menu... so the private feature works really well...
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:41 AM
lhanft

88 posts · Jul 2009
Cleveland, OH
gungo, can you use Blog Intro for several categories on a single site? Or is it just one intro per WP install?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:53 AM
gungo

31 posts · Jul 2009
San Juan, Puerto Rico
At first I thought that I could only use it for one...
but you can use for as many as you want...
just use the permalink naming convention:
slug1-cat-intro
slug2-cat-intro
slug3-cat-intro
where the slug is the slug name of your category.
Blog Intro will match it up and display at the top of your category...

for instance, if the slug of my posting category is anguilla, the page permalink has to be anguilla-cat-intro.

I'm still playing around with it during the construction phase on one of my sites, but you can see how it works at www.smallcaribbeanhotels.com

Now I just have to figure out how to get posts to display alphabeticly wihout playing with the creation dates and I should be all set...

Good Luck!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:20 PM
lhanft

88 posts · Jul 2009
Cleveland, OH
Nice. And do you style the text in the composition window of the Page you've made?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:36 PM
gungo

31 posts · Jul 2009
San Juan, Puerto Rico
No - you don't style in the page - that's all done in the Settings/Blog Intro area (not the Atahualpa theme admin area).
There are css input fields for title and content areas - you can style them with any css commands.