Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] Atahualpa & IIS: ISAPI_rewrite

Old May 8, 2009, 02:37 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
I am mid process setting up WordPress, Atahualpa, etc. on ...XP Pro and IIS 5.1.

(The reason i am using this environment is (a) I am trying to build the site locally as a learning process and THEN push it to my host who (b) is setup for IIS only -- he will host it for free until volume kicks in, then I'll have to move it, so I can't complain about his not serving up Apache.)

Let me tell you that technical advice on setting up WordPress on IIS 5.1 is nearly non-existent. There is a bit, here and there. The one article I did find mentions having to add the ISAPI_rewrite snap-in to IIS to get clean URLs (i.e. the equivalent of Permalinks). The "however" is, the article was written in January 2006. (I can send the link to it if you wish.)

My question is: do I still need to add ISAPI_rewrite to run Atahualpa on IIS 5.1 (and higher)? Or has the technology moved on beyond this "ancient" article.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I did find some articles on setting WebPress up on IIS 6 and Server 2003 but they're from 2007 and I'm not sure how valid they are either.

P.S.S. As I figure this out I will be documenting and posting a "workable" How-To, so all help will be appreciated.
Old May 8, 2009, 03:02 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The world of rewriting rules doesn't change that quickly. Mod_rewrite has been around like forever. I guess it is not much different for the Microsoft equivalent. The tutorials you found should work well. 2 years is long for Wordpress but not for that area of Web techniques.

You could always develop with Permalinks OFF in case there are problems with it on your desktop computer. It may still work on the web hosting server.

Also, Atahualpa as such doesn't need rewriting rules, Wordpress needs them for Permalinks, you probably knew that, but just to be sure.

And, without knowing IIS, I guess you still have to add rewrite support, just as you have to enable mod_rewrite in Apache
Old May 9, 2009, 09:28 AM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
The world of rewriting rules doesn't change that quickly. Mod_rewrite has been around like forever. I guess it is not much different for the Microsoft equivalent. The tutorials you found should work well. 2 years is long for Wordpress but not for that area of Web techniques.

You could always develop with Permalinks OFF in case there are problems with it on your desktop computer. It may still work on the web hosting server.

Also, Atahualpa as such doesn't need rewriting rules, Wordpress needs them for Permalinks, you probably knew that, but just to be sure.

And, without knowing IIS, I guess you still have to add rewrite support, just as you have to enable mod_rewrite in Apache
Thanks for the info and the "time scale". As a newbie its difficult discerning what's important and what isn't, what is relevant (now) and what isn't.

And. Thanks for differentiating between WordPress and Atahualpa. I probably did "know" that but it hadn't risen to the level of "consciousness" yet, as I'm still trying to fit all the pieces together into a coherent, supportable, whole.

So, looks like I'll learn more about MMC than I thought I needed to know. ) But, as an "IT Guy" (or propeller-head as my wife calls me) that's part of the fun.

Take Care,

FTR