Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Editing Text within a Text Widget

Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:48 AM
Nefeli

18 posts · Feb 2009
How can we edit the text in a text widget?

If you want to bold a name or title or something is this possible?

Is there a limit to how many text widgets we can add to sidebar?

On a previous non-wp site I had testimonials for our newsletter running down sidebar under the optin in form, within a coloured box, with signatures and names in bold and of course neatly spread out.

How can I do this in WP-Atahualpa?

I copied & pasted a lot of testimonals into 1 text box - ghastly to say the least. I then experimented with several text widget each with an individual testim. but realized or couldn't find way to edit.

I also changed colour background for text body of widget in theme option but it only worked on one not on all.

I found the following info in one of Flynn's replies is it something like this that I have to do?

Quote:
Yes, the widgets are actually very customizable. See A. Theme Options -> Widgets

Put CSS into the various textareas on that page, i.e.

HTML Code:

border: solid 1px #cccccc;
padding: 10px;
margin-bottom: 20px;

I asked elsewhere (probably wrong place) if we can add Johnson Boxes - i. boxed text areas with different background and with border on a page. Similar in a way to what different posts look like but I can't find how to do this on a page.

once again, looking for answers

Nefeli
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:56 AM
Nefeli

18 posts · Feb 2009
OK so no-one has had the same problems! So many views and no answers?

I've managed on my own to find some answers but still need help.

I found how to make changes to text within text widget by adding some code <strong>name</strong>
or when I need to separate text I added <br />. This info I found by looking at text to html, or even in firebug. So that's OK but.....

I applied html code(as quoted in my first/above post) into widget container box via theme options>widgets and this indeed changed widget look, but works for all widgets.

When applied only to widget content box it only worked on one widget.

I also tried applying directly the code into the text box + my text but the only thing that came up was the code in text form.

How and where do we go to modify individual widgets.

What code is needed to make a box with background, border and text within a text Widget?

I followed a suggestion here on the Forum about using Firebug, I'd already installed it without using it as I didn't really know how to work it, but with a little trial and error I'm picking up things. It is a great tool - is this where Flynn copies out the code?!

I'm not sure I know enough terminology to change things, but I gather that in Firebug you see where the problem is (line etc) and then go change it in Edit Theme settings?

If you visit my site [url="http://www.robolaofkefalonia.com"] you'll see right sidebar a text widget with testimonials in, and this is how I want it, but I don't want the other widgets to adopt the same look. You'll see the optin form takes on same values and has the same background - which is not needed.

Also on Visitor's Book you'll that the layout has gone out of control, and no matter how many times I tried to correct in text editor - it still goes wrong. Not sure how to translate problem from Firebug.

Would appreciate some help guys!
Old Mar 26, 2009, 05:09 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
A. Theme Options -> Widgets is for styling the widget containers, and for an overall styling for all widget content.

To style specific content areas inside the widgets, add HTML right inside the widget text area at Site Admin -> Widgets -> Click "Edit" link on widget

<strong>This text bold</strong> and this <em>text italic</em> and this text <span class="some-class">inside a span container</span> and this text <div class="another-class">inside a div container</div>

Then add a HTML/CSS Inserts -> CSS Insert, i.e.:

HTML Code:
span.some-class {
border: solid 1px green;
background: #123456;
font-family: georgia, serif;
}
div.another-class {
font-size: 1.5em;
line-height: 1.3;
padding: 0 5px 0 0;
}
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:54 PM
Nefeli

18 posts · Feb 2009
Flynn

I'd love to say this worked but alas it didn't..Sorry

This bit I'd already worked out for myself which in my case I added the code to each bit of text I wanted "bolding"
<strong>persons name and address</strong> italics I didn't use. This worked fine.

I'd also tried playing around using <span></span> before your reply but without making the CSS insert, only keeping the formatting in the widget styling container.

The result was that each line of text took the colour and bordering. Messy, so I guessed that I was missing some code - the div.bit so I see. I Even read a few HTML tutorials yesterday afternoon -lol

I have followed your instructions but no changes. I deleted the formatting I'd applied in the widget container box.

I'm a bit confused with this part and am thinking that perhaps here is where I've made a mistake, although I have tried several different ways.

"and this text <span class="some-class">inside a span container</span> and this text <div class="another-class">inside a div containerr</div>"

the closing should be at end of text to be included - is this what you mean by "inside a span container" or inside a div container"

....my textmy textmy textmy textvvvvvvmy textmy textmy text.</span></div> ?

As for the :"Then add a HTML/CSS Inserts -> CSS Insert, i.e.:"

I understand this but as I can't see any changes, so at a loss for where the problem lies.
But just to clarify this. do we add this to: the ATO>HTML/CSS INSERTS>CSS INSERTS box?

Does it matter if we add in between insertions and changes <!-- my changes to this widget box -->
so as to keep record of changes we are adding here?
HTML Code:

s-class {
font-size: 1.5em;
line-height: 1.3;
padding: 0 5px 0 0;
}

OK I understand Padding but what does the 0 5px 0 0: relate to? I've seen this on other formatting and wondered what it is

I honestly try not to make too long posts but whilst here, Flynn, you didn't answer another problem I asked on this thread - could you check out for me the Visitor's Book and see with your magic tools (!) why the heck I can't line up everything on the left as it should be. Would I be better making each block of text within a table form without adding border?

Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:56 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Post a URL please and tell me a specific example of what you want to style, and in which widget