Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Web Hosting for WordPress »

How About BackupBuddy? ...other BACKUP recommendations?

Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
I just signed up to receive newsletters from Michael Torbert, the author of the "All-in-One SEO Plugin" and received a 25% discount coupon for BackupBuddy.

I'm wondering if any Atahualpa folks use, or have used, BackupBuddy and what they thought of it.

I have the dbManager plugin on my sites and it's automatically backing up the mySQL database. But, what about everything else? I know from experience that to download/copy the entire /wp directory from my host's server takes a LONG time and it's not something I remember to do very often or on a regular basis.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:26 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I use BackupBuddy on just about all my sites and am very pleased. I have it backup to Amazon S3 for most sites and Dropbox for some. You can't have it email the file to you but you can download it right after performing a manual backup. You can also set it to backup just the database and in that case it can often be emailed.

Last edited by lmilesw; Nov 16, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:26 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Hey Larry,

I figured BackupBuddy was prob pretty good. Long ago I used an early version which backed up Palm PDAs and it was bombproof.

I used to use Amazon S3 to back up my Windows Home Server. Have you ever had restore from S3? It was so disconnected (disassociated?) that it began to freak me out.

I like the idea of using Dropbox -- it does everything!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
With BackupBuddy you wouldn't restore directly from Amazon or Dropbox for that matter. You would download it and then use a special php file per the instructions to restore the whole site. Amazon S3 works fine for me and costs VERY little but Dropbox would be fine for a single site.