Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Home page not accessible

Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:23 AM
muqmuq

18 posts · Jul 2010
sydney australia
Hi,

This is my first post in what I hope will become a longterm association with this theme.

I have been tinkering with Atahualpa and am creating something I really like, but in the process have somehow deleted my home page. When I click on the title of the blog, I get an error within the page content area: "Not Found Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here."

I am using Atalualpa 3.5.3 and the lastest Wordpress.

Any ideas?

Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:37 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Could you please supply a URL? If you did in fact just delete the home page you can go into the trash and recover it.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:48 AM
muqmuq

18 posts · Jul 2010
sydney australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Could you please supply a URL? If you did in fact just delete the home page you can go into the trash and recover it.
Thanks for such a quick reply!

There is no URL as yet. I am using MAMP (a local server environment for Mac) to create and test my site locally before uploading. I have done this with other sites in the past.

I am going crazy wondering why my home page has evaporated.... it is not in the Trash.

The problem is that when I click on the title of my blog, which should generically take me to the "home" page, i get an error saying "Not Found, Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here." There is no "Home" listed in the usual Pages list in the dashboard, and none in the Trash. It's like its permanent link has disappeared or something.... I am not savvy enough to know what's going on here, sorry!
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:56 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Check the WordPress Address and Site Address in the "General" WordPress settings. Did you set your front page to be static? Have you tried creating a new "Home" page? When you hover over the home menu what shows up in the status bar at the bottom for a link?

Also saavyness comes with dealing with things like this so you are on the right track.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:06 AM
muqmuq

18 posts · Jul 2010
sydney australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Check the WordPress Address and Site Address in the "General" WordPress settings. Did you set your front page to be static? Have you tried creating a new "Home" page? When you hover over the home menu what shows up in the status bar at the bottom for a link?

Also saavyness comes with dealing with things like this so you are on the right track.
I hope so!

In each case the address is "http://localhost:8888/wordpress/"

I have tried to create a new page called "Home". What this does is create two pages — the phantom "Home" [when clicking on the blog title] which has the above address but gives the aforementioned error and, being non-existent, can't be accessed or edited. I also get the newly created page, with an address such as "http://localhost:8888/wordpress/?p=9" which is accessible and editable.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:16 AM
muqmuq

18 posts · Jul 2010
sydney australia
I created a Post which functions on the possibly non-existant "Home" page.

But I don't want a Post, I just want an editable Page.

Am I chasing my tail here? I feel like the Home Page permalink has somehow disappeared...
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:20 AM
muqmuq

18 posts · Jul 2010
sydney australia
I'm going to try reinstalling.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:36 AM
muqmuq

18 posts · Jul 2010
sydney australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by muqmuq
I'm going to try reinstalling.
OK!

A full reinstall of my setup has reinstated the usual "Hello World" front page.

I have no idea what I did wrong there! Luckily I wasn't too advanced in my site editing.

Thanks for taking the time to attend to my question.

Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You probably started using a custom permalink. On my non-MAMP setup on the mac, that always gives me the not-found