Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Problem with editing source code...

Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:01 PM
RJelley

4 posts · Nov 2010
We downloaded Website Auditer Version 2.65 and it came up with a bunch of problems in my source code for the home page. I have the corrected source code for the page but am unsure where to go to fix it. We went to try to an edit it in the editor but the source code didn't match at all to the source code that http://validator.w3.org/ gave us. Any help would be much appreciated.

If you have any experience with these programs or services, please let me know your thoughts.

Ryan
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:27 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
a little more info would be helpful
1) what version of Atahualpa and WP?
2) where did you get this auditor program?
3) what is the url?

Wordpress pages that get generated are not static pages, they are dynamic and get built on the fly. The theme editor is looking at the code that builds the dynamic page

p.s. run a page thru 3 auditor programs and you will probably get three different results'

p.p.s try it with the CSS set to external
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:17 PM
RJelley

4 posts · Nov 2010
Thanks for the quick reply.

1) Versions =
-Atahualpa 3.5.1
-WordPress 3.1

2) Program used...
- http://www.link-assistant.com/website-auditor/

3) My site URL...
- http://ryanjelley.com

What do you mean "Try it with the CSS set to external"

Please let me know if this program is worthless. Is there a good one out there, or is it a matter of using a few to get optimum results.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:48 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
When I said set the CSS to external go to ato->Configure CSS & JS
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:59 AM
RJelley

4 posts · Nov 2010
OK, I did that. What happens then? Where can I see/edit that file? Please forgive all the newbie questions. It seems like every time I feel like I am getting the hang of things something comes up that throws me for a loop.

So is it possible at all to edit the source code of a Wordpress site?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:05 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Let me see if I can explain a little about WordPress.

WordPress, the themes and plugins are programs written in PHP that dynamically generate web pages when you request them. So when you type 'mydomain.com' WordPress goes out to the database and reads the information that is there and sees that you are using the Atahualpa theme, so it transfers control to the program 'index.php' that is in the Atahualpa folder.

This program reads the database to get the styling it needs for the page (colors, fonts images etc) then it starts to build the HTML that will make up the page you will view. After building the <head>...</head> it calls a WordPress function (several in fact) to get the posts that are stored in the database. They get formated with the right HTML and then the footer is created and finally WordPress sends this DYNAMICALLY created web page to your browser.

Once you click off the page, the HTML that made up that page NO LONGER EXISTS.

A theme has source code, the code that will build the HTML page.

So when you set the CSS to be external, it is just an option in the database that will be used at runtime

You might want to spend a little time reading the beginner documentation about WordPress