Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

2 columns for posts on blog home page?

Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:34 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
see HOWTO: "JUGGLEDAD's two columm posts" PAGE template with posts above the columns (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...6616#post36616) in the gold forums Tutorials
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:42 PM
mnl

27 posts · Mar 2010
Hi. I've successfully implemented this on another site but for some reason (that i hope can be uncovered here) this site won't cooperate. i have the 2 columns but they show only as full posts, not excerpts as directed in the theme options. i had the excerpt length at 20, then 30 but that didnt help. i also removed the custom [more] link, leaving the default.

the site will have scores of updates and the 2 col view will allow them all to show on a page. thanks for your help!

www.collegefootballinjuriesplus.com
wp 2.9.2
ata 3.4.6
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:17 AM
Volhova

7 posts · Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
Read the bottom of this post first on how to apply this to only the homepage

In index.php replace

PHP Code:
    <?php // The LOOP. Do this for all posts:

while (have_posts()) : the_post(); $postcount++; ?>
(or similar, I am already in 3.3.3)

with

[php] <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
<?php $column = 1; ?>
<?php // The LOOP. Do this for all posts:
while (have_posts()) : the_post(); $postcount++; ?>

Hi, Flynn. My problem is exactly the same like MNL's one.

I did everything here, plus I put everywhere in Configure Excerpt page "only excerpts", , in the "Show the first X posts on HOME page as full posts?" I set "0", but on my first page you could see the all full posts, not the excerpts.

Can you help me resolve this problem? Thanks in advance.

I'm in WP 3, Atahualpa 3.5.3

btw, here is the site: http://shadowdance.comeze.com/

Last edited by Volhova; Jul 30, 2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:50 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
see HOWTO: "JUGGLEDAD's two columm posts" PAGE template with posts above the columns (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...6616#post36616) in the gold forums Tutorials
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:55 AM
Volhova

7 posts · Jul 2010
Thanks, but I haven't permission to access that page. That's why I'm asking here.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 04:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
sorry, the gold forums are available to members that have made a $20 or more donation.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:27 PM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
Hi,

In Atahualpa 3.5.1, WordPress 3.0, I would like to use the same horizontally sequenced two-column method as Redbiker mentioned above:

http://perishablepress.com/press/200...ss-post-order/

But, can someone tell me exactly where to put the PHP/HTML code portion of the Perishable Press code?

I am assuming that you would create a custom page template by copying the index.php from the Atahualpa351 Theme folder. But, exactly where in this new custom page template.php would you insert the PHP portion of the Perishable Press code?

The CSS portion, I assume goes in the ATO> CSS/ HTML Inserts. Correct?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:48 PM
edyrio

4 posts · Feb 2009
Dear Friends,

I am producing a new site using the Atahualpa 3.5.3, used the tip of Flynn (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1288) to make it with two columns and would like to know how to put two independent loops, showing the two most recent posts, each a separate category.

Ex: Four posts on the main page, two of a category with different design and two of another.

Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 02:43 PM
jeckert

2 posts · Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by edyrio
Dear Friends,

I am producing a new site using the Atahualpa 3.5.3, used the tip of Flynn (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1288) to make it with two columns and would like to know how to put two independent loops, showing the two most recent posts, each a separate category.

Ex: Four posts on the main page, two of a category with different design and two of another.

Thanks.
I'm also looking for the same thing, I think.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 06:57 PM
warra

1 posts · Nov 2010
Greetings Flynn, I'll spare you the newbie excuse and admit my problem is wetware. I've followed your instructions and have split the post column in two. How do I make those columns equal in width? I'm using WordPress 3.0.2 and Atahualpa 3.5.3. My thanks in advance.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 07:13 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
see HOWTO: "JUGGLEDAD's two columm posts" PAGE template with posts above the columns (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=8056) in the gold forums Tutorials

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 3, 2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 04:11 PM
Sangennaru

5 posts · Dec 2010
your link appears to be dead to me.

i'm having some big trouble: i've found some nice script to have 2 columns on my blog, but all them are not totally good, since i can't chose border options or text colour!

is there any kind of simple and effective horizontal 2 column script?
my php level is around 0, so the simpliest is the best! ^^

thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:45 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Oh sorry, that's the Gold Forum and is available to members who have donated $20 or more
Old Dec 3, 2010, 05:18 AM
Sangennaru

5 posts · Dec 2010
don't worry. i was just looking for a 2 column plugin or script for making post looks in 2 columns, horizontally setted, but with all the settings and appearance as normal!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 05:40 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
(sorry, there was a problem with the link - I fixed it but you won't be able to see it unless you are a Gold Member)

Well, I think that template would do the job for you
Quote:
This page template will display the posts in two columns and by adding a custom field, you can specify how many posts should show up spanning the two columns

Here is what you do:
1) Install the attached template into the atahualpa folder
2) add a new page and use the template 'JUGGLEDAD's two columm posts'
3) add a custom field called 'posts_above_the_column'
4) in the value feild for the custom field, enter the number of posts you want to show above the columns
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:49 AM
bender57

16 posts · Apr 2010
France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachein
I am trying desperately to insert the code. Could you please let me know where to insert it?

code from : http://wordpress.org/support/topic/p...umns?replies=7

Is it in "The Loop" of center column?
or
in the editor?

Thanks a lot for your help
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
bender57 - this thread is about 2 column pages. If you want to start a new thread on three column pages, feel free, but let's keep this to the current topic. THanks
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:39 PM
bogdanvelea

17 posts · Oct 2010
Send a message via Yahoo to bogdanvelea
Hello!

I made all changes that you told me, but the first page (home page) doesn't look very good. Page 2, page 3 etc look very good.. (title and picture) but in home page you can see only title without images... Why pages 2, 3, 4 etc are looking good and just first page (home page) is crashed?

My website is: http://wowallpapers.com

This page looks very good: http://wowallpapers.com/wallpaper/an...ts-wallpapers/
This page looks very good: http://wowallpapers.com/page/2/
This page doesn't look very good: http://wowallpapers.com/
WHY?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:57 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
what are the exact changes you made?
have you added any code to The LOOP?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:22 PM
bogdanvelea

17 posts · Oct 2010
Send a message via Yahoo to bogdanvelea
In index.php I replaced

with

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
<?php $column = 1; ?>

<?php if ($column == 1) echo "<tr>"; ?>

<td class="column<?php echo $col;?>" style="vertical-align: top">

AND

<?php // END of the LOOP
endwhile; ?>

with

</td>

<?php if ($column == 2) echo "</tr>"; (($column==1) ? $column=2 : $column=1); ?>

<?php // END of the LOOP
endwhile; ?>
</table>

And this is INDEX.php:

<?php /* get all options: */
include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/functions/bfa_get_options.php');
get_header(); ?>

<?php /* If there are any posts: */
if (have_posts()) : $bfa_ata['postcount'] == 0; /* Postcount needed for option "XX first posts full posts, rest excerpts" */ ?>

<?php /* This outputs the next/previous post or page navigation.
This can be edited at Atahualpa Theme Options -> Style & edit the Center column */
bfa_center_content($bfa_ata['content_above_loop']); ?>

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
<?php $column = 1; ?>

<td class="column<?php echo $col;?>" style="vertical-align: top">

<?php /* Add Odd or Even post class so post containers can get alternating CSS style (optional) */
$odd_or_even = (($bfa_ata['postcount'] % 2) ? 'odd-post' : 'even-post' ); ?>

<?php /* This is the actual Wordpress LOOP.
The output can be edited at Atahualpa Theme Options -> Style & edit the Center column */
bfa_center_content($bfa_ata['content_inside_loop']); ?>

</td>

<?php if ($column == 2) echo "</tr>"; (($column==1) ? $column=2 : $column=1); ?>

<?php // END of the LOOP
endwhile; ?>
</table>

<?php /* This outputs the next/previous post or page navigation and the comment template.
This can be edited at Atahualpa Theme Options -> Style & edit the Center column */
bfa_center_content($bfa_ata['content_below_loop']); ?>

<?php /* END of: If there are any posts */
else : /* If there are no posts: */ ?>

<?php /* This outputs the "Not Found" content, if neither posts, pages nor attachments are available for the requested page.
bfa_center_content($bfa_ata['content_not_found']); ?>

<?php endif; /* END of: If there are no posts */ ?>

<?php bfa_center_content($bfa_ata['center_content_bottom']); ?>

<?php get_footer(); ?>
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:59 AM
mathur.rajeev

6 posts · Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbiker
Thanks Flynn. I found a slightly different way of doing it on my own in the end.

I've added a home.php file to the theme then found a neat way of doing a two column layout here...

http://perishablepress.com/press/200...ss-post-order/
@Redbiker: If you have implemented the code given in mentioned site, would you be kind enough to share step by step instructions for atahualpa users.

thanks in anticipation.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:14 PM
rjsikkel

1 posts · Jan 2011
I'm a newcomer with WordPress. My site http://rekerlanden.nl is in two languages, for that reason I'm interested in a 2 columns solution for posts. I studied the complete discussion. Of course it is much better and nicer to make adjustments to the source. But I'm completely happy with the effects of a small tabel in the edit post box, may be because I do the entries by hand.
My table is very simple and the effects are great:

<table>
<tr>
<td width="50%" align="justify" valign="top">DUTCHtext</td>
<td width="50%" align="justify" valign="top"><em>GERMANtext</em></td>
</tr>
</table>

Last edited by rjsikkel; Jan 15, 2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:01 AM
Volhova

7 posts · Jul 2010
I think I've found a solution.

First, I've followed exactly the steps, described by Flynn in the first page of the thread.

In the index.php of the theme I've replaced
Quote:
<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); $bfa_ata['postcount']++; ?>
with
Quote:
<table cellpadding="10" cellspacing="10" border="0">
<?php $column = 1; ?>

<td class="column<?php echo $col;?>" style="vertical-align: top" width="50%">
and

Quote:
<?php endwhile; ?>
with

Quote:
</td>

<?php // END of the LOOP
endwhile; ?>
</table>
I've saved the file like home.php and uloaded into the ATO theme directory. I've made the changes with Notepad++ editor.

Then, in Options, I limit the publications on the first page in 4.

For the publications I'm using the Read More option.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Volhova; Jan 30, 2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:07 AM
jmc44

7 posts · Apr 2011
Hi Flynn,
thanks for your efforts on the theme and the countless hours in support!

I've followed your instructions and it works fine, expect that the top right cell is empty - regardless of how many posts there are...

I'm using V3.6.4 - should it still work the same way?
Old May 10, 2011, 08:17 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Things are a little different in 3.6.x did you follow the original instructions or the info from this
Quote:

Last edited by lmilesw; May 10, 2011 at 10:21 AM.