Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

New Calendar Plugin

Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:52 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
There have been several threads about calendar plugins so I thought I would let you all know about a new one that looks very promising. It is the My Calendar plugin. So far I am happy with the way it integrates and the two styles it offers. You can click the Monthly Style or List Style tabs.

Last edited by lmilesw; Apr 28, 2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Link not valid.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:59 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I read about it. It's a fork off of Kieran O'Shea's Calendar, which I'm using already. I like the way this one looks. Does it also have a widget for Today's Events and Upcoming Events? I did read on the author's site that you can import the old Calendar's events into the new plugin's tables, but my PHP abilities are shaky at best. Were you using Kieran's Calendar plugin earlier?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:05 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
If you read his "blurb" he ultimately says that even though this is a fork of Kieran O'Shea's calendar plugin there is not much left of it. I thought he also said that an import is in the works but not done. I have used Kieran O'Shea's plugin but for various reasons decided to use Google Calendar instead but I like that this is integrated within WordPress so my clients don't have to login to the WordPress site for some stuff and Google Calendar to add or edit events.

There are a couple of widgets with this one. One for upcoming events and one for today's events. They just show the title and a URL link if one was provided.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:43 AM
lucy

60 posts · Aug 2009
Grayson County, TX
Thanks for the info. I am doing a Chamber of Commerce site right now also using Kieran O'Shea's plugin and will check out the new one.

Lmilesw, What are you using for your Directory? I am using Connections which is really cool but in order to provide good category navigation, I am having to do a lot of manual effort. I couldn't find one that handled categories well.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:02 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I tried Connections and I too found it cumbersome. I also tried Business Directory but it wasn't robust enough yet. I therefore resorted to creating posts. I tweaked the CSS so they showed up the way I wanted, found a plugin that allowed me to list them in alphabetical order and created a template with the Post Templates plugin to make creating new entries "easier". Not ideal but cheaper than ChamberMaster which is an online service that costs about $79+ per month to keep track of your members, event calendar, bookeeping and more which of course adds to the $79/month.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:03 PM
lucy

60 posts · Aug 2009
Grayson County, TX
Thanks, Larry. Connections is pretty easy to update, just not the category part. Since I won't be updating the membership list I guess I will just get the categories set up manually as best I can. I'll post a link when it's done!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:33 PM
pampreslar

12 posts · Feb 2010
Terrific Larry! Thanks for sharing the calendar. It looks great and I'm going to try it.

Ciao, Pam
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:33 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Paulie,
if you are comfortable with phpMyAdmin, you can move the data. Here is what I would do to test it
1) install the plugin and activate it
2) create a new PRIVATE page with the plugin shortcode
3) add an event then delete the event

Now go into phpMyAdmin
1) select the wp_calendar_categories table and then select EXPORT
2) on the export window in teh 'View dump (schema) of table
a) under 'Export' select 'SQL'
b) under 'Options' select select
-- 'Structure'
X Structure
_ Add DROP TABLE
X Add IF NOT EXISTS
X Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
X Enclose table and field names with backquotes
_ Add CREATE PROCEDURE / FUNCTION
X Data
X Complete inserts
X Extended inserts
X Use hexadecimal for BLOB
Export type INSERT
c) Check the box 'Save as file
d) click on the 'GO' at the bottom right
This should download a file of the KieranOShea calendar categories. Do the same for wp_calendar
3) Edit `wp_calendar` and change all occurances of `wp_calendar` to `wp_my_calendar`
4) Edit `wp_calendar_categories` and change all occurances of `wp_calendar_categories` to `wp_my_calendar_categories`
5) go back to phpMyAdmin and do an IMPORT of teh two SQL files. NOTE: personally I always use the mysql command line to do imports because of how slow phpMyAdmin is in doing imports.

Now you should have two sets of tables in the database, one (wp_calendar, wp_calendar_categories and wp_calendar_config) for the KieranOShea calendar and a second set (wp_my_calendar and wp_my_calendar_categories) for My Calendar and you have two pages showing off the calendars for testing.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:34 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
OK, I'll try that. Thanks for the clear information! I think the my-calendar guy plans to include an import function, but this will be a life-saver until then.

However: I find that if I view my-calendar in Safari, it looks terrible. The font is all screwy for the dates and events: http://aghca.org/community-calendar/

It looks fine in Firefox. He posted a fix for the CSS on this forum, but it had no effect that I could see. I won't be switching to this for my main site until I figure this out. Or you do. I also see, on his forum, that there are other bugs he hasn't yet addressed.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:01 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I just noticed that you have a TEXT SIZER on the site. One of the things I notice is that at the bigest size, they look the same, but at the smallest size, the font in Safari, looks bigger than the font in Firefox. Could this be the difference you are seeing?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:51 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I removed that widget, but still get the squirrely font.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:14 AM
mnl

27 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
I tried Connections and I too found it cumbersome. I also tried Business Directory but it wasn't robust enough yet. I therefore resorted to creating posts. I tweaked the CSS so they showed up the way I wanted, found a plugin that allowed me to list them in alphabetical order and .
hi. what plugin did you use to alphabetize the posts. i too created a custom layout for a tenant directory in my client's building and would love the alpha thing.

thanks!
Old May 12, 2010, 11:33 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
mnl... It is the List Category Posts plugin.