Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

css, javascript and optimization

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 31, 2014, 09:28 PM
emanuel1969

133 posts · Apr 2010
California
Send a message via Skype™ to emanuel1969
css, javascript and optimization

This isn't a plugin question but I didn't know where else to ask it. Basically, I am wondering whether I should make my css and js inline or make it an external file? I've been having server load spikes lately, usually when the site gets a lot of traffic. They seem to be related to mysql queries, but I'm not sure. When this happens, pages are taking 10-30 seconds to load, and occasionally people get a timeout error.

So I'm trying to optimize the site, particularly I'd like to reduce mysql queries. I'm assuming that when you make your js and css inline, that this adds two more mysql queries for each page load. Is this correct? And by making it an external file, it does not need to query the database.

I would appreciate anyone's expertise on this issue, aside from my basic question above. Here's the site, if you are interested in seeing it.

http://www.popularresistance.org

Thanks!
Emanuel

Last edited by lmilesw; Feb 2, 2014 at 08:17 AM.