Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Wordpress and theme updates--when to pull the trigger?

Old May 9, 2010, 07:36 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Wordpress and theme updates--when to pull the trigger?

I have not yet upgraded my news site from Wordpress 2.9.1 to 2.9.2 because of some issues with the previous upgrade. I decided to just wait for the big 3.0 upgrade. But in the meantime, the WP-DB Manager plugin I use to backup the database has stopped working as it should. I had it set to back up every week, but it stopped doing any automatic backups in the last month or so. I discovered this when I suddenly needed a backup from a few days ago, and found that it hadn't done a backup since April 15! Luckily, I had done a manual one yesterday morning.

It may be smart, still, to hold off on the update. And I'm waiting to update Atahualpa, too, until all the fixes are done.

If you were me, would you skip WP 2.9.2 and wait for 3.0? I hope that by waiting, I'm not missing some interim step that would be important.
Old May 9, 2010, 07:59 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
That's a tough call Paula. I have always upgraded my sites very shortly after an upgrade is released. 2.9.2 went fine but I am going to be cautious on the 3.0 upgrade because of the many changes. I guess about the only way to keep our anxiety levels down is to know we have a good backup.
Old May 9, 2010, 08:24 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Larry, I've done the upgrades of WP and the theme right away too, for my other sites. But the news site is so complex, and I have so many plugins running, it's always a nail-biter doing an update. Every time, there has been some loss of functionality because one or two plugins stopped working. I always find a work-around, but it's a pain.

Maybe I'll give it a go today, since it's Mother's Day and the site shouldn't be too busy. Oh yeah, why am I working today???
Old May 9, 2010, 10:19 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Whew!

I did a backup, disabled all plugins, and, with bated breath, hit the automatic update button.

It said it was successful. Of course, the page was a mess, with the plugins disabled. There was a parse error showing, because the Featured Content Gallery plugin was disabled, and that's one of the first things loaded. I enabled that one first. Then did them one by one, checking each time, and all is now back to normal.

The Sponsors Slideshow widget that runs some of our sidebar ads has been asking for an update for months, and I thought it would go smoothly once I upgraded to WP 2.9.2, but no. It was broken, so I reverted to the old version. Other than that, all seems OK.

The WP DB Manager plugin which had stopped doing automatic updates is now set to do them once a day, so I can quickly find out if the upgrade fixed that problem.
Old May 9, 2010, 12:28 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I love it when a plan comes together.
Old May 13, 2010, 06:27 PM
Michael

11 posts · Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
The WP DB Manager plugin which had stopped doing automatic updates is now set to do them once a day, so I can quickly find out if the upgrade fixed that problem.
I'd be interested to know if your WP DB Manager plugin starts making automatic backups again. There was supposedly some kind of a problem with Wordpress' internal cron from 2.9.0, which was supposedly fixed in 2.9.2.... but I tried installing both WP DB Manager and WP DB Backup plugins in 2.9.2 and could get neither of them to do automatic backups.

Michael
Old May 13, 2010, 06:51 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Since you can't tell WP-DB Manager on which day to start the auto-backups, and I want it weekly starting the morning after we do our new issue of the newspaper, I'm going to set it to backup tomorrow morning, weekly.

So it'll be a week before I know if it worked for weekly backups. However, I did set it for daily backups after doing the upgrade, and that has been working.