Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Using widgets instead of sidebar

Old May 22, 2014, 09:29 AM
prooffairy

73 posts · Oct 2010
Using widgets instead of sidebar

Is it possible to put widgets on the left of the page in the place of a sidebar? I want the option to add content on the left of my page but at the moment using the sidebar I have a lot of white space underneath when the sidebar content runs out. Can I add a new widget that sticks to the left of the page, and allows the main container content to then flow full width once the widget content has stopped?

My site is www.adhdkids.org.uk - currently using WP 3.9 and Atahualpa 3.7.13
Old May 22, 2014, 12:14 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You could try adding a new widget area as part of the content (something I've never tried, don't know if it will even work). You moght just add the info as part of the post and set it up like images with an 'alignleft' class and see if that will do it forr you
Old May 22, 2014, 12:48 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I would probably use the column function of the Shortcodes Ultimate plugin and set the columns to perhaps 1/4 and 3/4.
Old May 23, 2014, 03:45 AM
prooffairy

73 posts · Oct 2010
Thanks. If I use a plugin to split the page into two columns surely I'll have the same problem - with the smaller column being empty below the widgets?

I can see I can add a new widget area to the top of the content area ... is there any way I can do that and align it to the left?
Old May 23, 2014, 03:52 AM
prooffairy

73 posts · Oct 2010
OK to answer my own question .... no ... the widget still takes up the whole of the top of the container, even if I specify a width. Back to the drawing board!
Old May 23, 2014, 06:29 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Like I said, I'd try just adding the info to the post inside a div with a class of alignleft and see if that would work
Old May 23, 2014, 08:35 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The Widgets on Pages plugin might do what you want. It's a bit old and will require some CSS to float the content but in a quick test it seemed to work.