Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] button at end of page menu???

Old Oct 7, 2010, 06:58 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
I want to put a 'donate' button in line with my page menu tabs, to the right. I have managed to put a text widget in my header that has the link and button in it, but the widget space always show up in it's own row.

This is what it looks like now: http://sierraclubcalifornia.org/images/Screenshot.png

All I want is to have it down lower in the row with the tabs. I don't know if I can do this by making it a tab in the menu, but somehow make it a different color and right-aligned while all the rest are left. Or if I should continue working with the widget button I made and if there is a way to put it in line with the pages tabs. Alternately, if there is a way to put it above the rss feed and have that look good, that would work too, I guess.

PLEASE HELP. I've never worked with wordpress before, and the intern that has been doing this has left us.

Last edited by SC801; Oct 11, 2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 08:09 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Putting it inline with the menu is problematic. Putting it in various places above that can generally be accomplished with adding the necessary code for the donate button or adding a widget area and putting a donate widget in it. You can read more about adding a widget area in ATO>Add new widget areas.

This is the kind of thing where there are several answers and it becomes difficult to point you to "the way" to accomplish it. Once you determine where you want the button you need to look through the theme settings and get a feel for what areas affect what. You can test by putting some text in many of the areas to see where it shows up on the site. Then you can position to some extent with CSS.

Another piece of info that may be helpful is that multi-celled widget areas will show side by side so you could for instance have an image in the left and the button on the right.

I'm not sure if I made any sense but hope I at least gave you a little idea of what can be done.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 08:14 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
I have been able to add a widget with the button to the header, but I can't get it to look nice. And I can't get it to show up to the right of the logo or the menu or somewhere where it could sit nicely and professionally.

CAN ANYONE HELP?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 08:17 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
That's where using a two celled widget area comes in. Those areas are cells in a table and trying to position the content in one cell beside the content in another doesn't work good with some browsers.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:57 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
Please? Anyone? Help?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:41 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Have you followed the advice you have need given? Repeatedly asking For help and not explaining what you did is not helpful.

There is a thread in the gold forums tutorial section that explains how to float a button over the header image. The gold forums can be accessed by anyone who has donated $20 or more.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:25 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
Yes, I had already tried the advice I was given when I posted. Like I said above, I have managed to put the button in the header through a text widget. But it only puts the button up in a new row rather than next to anything or in line with anything. The other mod pointed out that "trying to position the content in one cell beside the content in another doesn't work good with some browsers," which I can see, but that doesn't help me solve the problem.

I have read something about making the logo a double celled widget with the link in one cell, but I can't figure out how to do that. Is there another way to do this?

Unfortunately, I don't have twenty dollars to throw at this problem. I am an unpaid intern working on my non-profit's new website, and I would just really really like to be able to do what my boss wants me to do. But I can't figure it out.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:55 PM
SC801

34 posts · Oct 2010
Well, never mind all this. I figured out how to float it on my own.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:00 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The positioning I was talking about is if you don't use the two celled widget area. Below is some basic code for creating a two celled widget area. You can set the alignment of the contents my changing the "align=1" to some other number as describe in ATO>Add New Widget Areas. You could put this code in place of %logo or %image in ATO>Style & edit Header Area>Configure Header Area.
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=My widget  area&cells=4&align=1&before_widget=<div  id="%1$s" class="header-widget  %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>