Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Style 'Custom Menu' widget (WP 3.0)

Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:51 AM
hlietz

45 posts · Jan 2010
The new menu feature in WP 3.0 works great now with Atahualpa 3.5.3. Thanks for this update!
There is some styling issue in the new "menu widget" though: sub-menus (second level) are styled "ugly", (i.e. NOT as in the pages widget). There's the "bar" for the first level and the "bar" for the second level which looks strange ... I hope you know what I mean.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:53 AM
hlietz

45 posts · Jan 2010
To explain it a bit more clearly see the attached files:
First picture: "ugly" styling with the new "menu widget" (WP 3.0)
Second picture: nice styling as it should be with pages widget
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Menu widget style.png
Views:	725
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	638  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pages widget style.png
Views:	721
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	639  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:20 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Add this to your CSS Inserts
HTML Code:
div.widget ul li {
padding: 1px 5px 1px 12px !important;
background: url('<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/images/bullets/round-gray.gif') no-repeat 0 7px;
}
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:05 AM
hlietz

45 posts · Jan 2010
Hm ... That makes it look like that (see attachment).
I don't want to replace the "bars" by bullet points, but would like to style it as it is done with the "pages widget" (see attachments above).

Another problem: The code you gave me is also influencing the other widgets in the sidebar. Can't I just style the "menu widget"?

Thanks for further help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Styling_menu_widget.png
Views:	696
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	641  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:15 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I grabbed that code from one of the example setting files and it also has the 'Left Margin for whole Item' option set to 0 (see ato->Style WIDGETS->Widget List Items)

You can style any widget, you have to do some digging though. If every plugin/widget developer used the same standards and naming conventions, then Atahualpa could have options to influence them all.

Alas, this is not the case, so you have to look at the generated code and determine what CSS Selector you need to code to affect a particular widget. With that, you can then code the CSS rules to make the changes you want and add them to the CSS Inserts.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:58 AM
hlietz

45 posts · Jan 2010
If anybody knows how to style the new "menu widget" (WP 3.0) for Atahualpa, help is very welcome ...
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:44 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
see HOWTO: use CSS list style types (or widgets, bars, bullets and squares oh my)
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3232
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:12 AM
hlietz

45 posts · Jan 2010
The good thing: The "class" of the menu-widget seems to be: widget_nav_menu

The bad thing: I still can't style it as I want (like a normal pages widget).

Again: It's NOT about the bars – they are ok for me. But on the second level (sub-navigation) I don't want the first level bars, but ONLY the second level bars. That's how the pages widget handles this, too.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:59 PM
damian

22 posts · Feb 2010
I'm having this problem too. Anyone come up with a solution?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:01 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
for version 3.6.1 use see BUGFIX 361-04: Allow Custom Menu widget links to use same styling as Pages widget.

For version 3.5.3 use the attached file.
unzip it and upload it to your Atahualpa theme folder
you may want to rename the existing css.php first.
css353.zip
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:41 AM
damian

22 posts · Feb 2010
Wow. It worked. Nice job. Thanks!