Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Newbie here. How do I place sidebar in pages? No side bars are shown in pages.

Old Jun 14, 2009, 06:00 PM
xtrong

3 posts · Jun 2009
My blog shows the 2 sidebars everywhere i go in my blog but does not appear on my pages. On my pages I can only see the footer,the header and body but no sidebars...what am I doing wrong? LEFT sidebar: Display on: everything checked...same with the right one. I'm using the old wordpress version 2.3.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 07:29 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I suggest you upgrade WP to at least 2.7.1
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:11 PM
xtrong

3 posts · Jun 2009
Would you know of a solution for 2.3.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:26 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Ok, you have version 2.3 of wordpress, what version of Atahualpa are you running?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:06 PM
xtrong

3 posts · Jun 2009
Hi Jung. Its 3.3. But it's ok...i have created my own side bar, but thanx so much for replying.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 05:31 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You may run into some other problems. There are conditional tags that were added into WordPress 2.5 that is used by Attahualpa 3.2 and higher.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:21 PM
Maeve

10 posts · Jun 2009
Arkansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Maeve
I'm switching to Atahualpa version 3.2 from 2.01. I was happy with the older version, but I want drop down menus. The sidebar options do not work. It does not seem to matter if the option boxes are checked or not. The sidebars don't show on the PAGES pages.

I also have a ghostly left sidebar. I decided to have a 2-column layout so I set the left sidebar to 0. It doesn't show on the home page, but does come up on the single post pages. I can get rid of the ghost by uploading an empty text widget, but I shouldn't have to do that.

I don't know what version of Wordpress I have. I'd rather not have to update WP. For one thing, I don't know how. For another, I don't like the changes that always means.

I'm also having trouble making a static front page. Is there a way I can make a page created in html be the static front page? I did that a few years ago with a different theme, but I don't see how to do that with Atahualpa.

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:07 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Upgrading is a thing we all have to live with. You can keep static for only so long and eventually you can't do anything. Just imagine if you were still using windows 3.1 - youwouldn't be able to get to the internet and do anything. As long as people think up new and interesting things, upgrading will be with us. (Ok, rant off)

Be aware that Atahualpa 3.2 uses things that are in WP 2.5 and higher. If you have an earlier version, your probably going to run into trouble.

Setting a static page is a WordPress feature. In WP 2.7.1 you would go to dashboard->settings->reading and set the static page there.

If you need help upgrading WordPress, send me a PM and we can discuess it.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:47 AM
Maeve

10 posts · Jun 2009
Arkansas
I've created the static page, although the drop down menu has spaces in it that do not appear on the other pages.

I'm still having the sidebar problem, but I understand that I must upgrade my Wordpress to fix that.

Here's a new problem I've discovered with the WIDGETS. I have a maximum of 9 widgets, all of which contain text from previous usage. When I delete the text and replace it with new content and update,
the old widget content comes back.

How do I get rid of the old content?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 09:21 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You may have to activate your old theme again, remove the widgets from its sidebars, then add them to your new theme
Old Jul 5, 2009, 05:13 PM
Maeve

10 posts · Jun 2009
Arkansas
Flynn,
I tried removing the widgets in the old theme as you suggested. The old content won't stay gone when I try to recycle them in 3.3.3.

I've looked again at the directions for updating Wordpress, but it's too technical for me.

Right now I'm creating html pages so that I can have a right sidebar on at least some of the pages, but that is probably just creating more problems for me later on. http://americanenglishdoctor.com/babysfirstteacher.html

And possibly the most frustrating thing--and this may be all Wordpress, not your theme--but when I go back to a published PAGE to put spaces between paragraphs, everything runs together. (See http://americanenglishdoctor.com/wordpress/?page_id=164
Old Jul 6, 2009, 06:16 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Maeve
See my PM to you
Old Jul 10, 2009, 06:24 PM
Maeve

10 posts · Jun 2009
Arkansas
Juggledad,
Well, I finally got up the nerve to do it! I upgraded to WP 2.8 and now I seem to be able to do everything I want to. It's even possible to replace old widget content.

And there's already a notice that my version of WP is out of date!

Thanks for your help.

Maeve

In case you want to see how I've customized the theme, my URL is http://www.AmericanEnglishDoctor.com

Last edited by Maeve; Jul 10, 2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: to include URL