Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Reducing spam with captcha

Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:33 AM
Dids-wp

6 posts · Oct 2009
I get loads of spam as replies to my post – nothing new there I suppose – is there a captcha plugin I can use to reduce the amount of spam?

Thanks
D
Old Feb 2, 2010, 01:23 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
i beleive there is, do a google search 'wordpress captcha plugin'
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:14 PM
Velma

272 posts · Feb 2009
The Akisment Plugin also takes care of A LOT of spam too. I've also set it up that someone has to have had an approved comment before their comments are automatically posted.

Velma
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:47 AM
Dids-wp

6 posts · Oct 2009
Hi Velma, I have installed the Akismet plugin and key, let's see if that helps. Thanks. :D
Old Feb 7, 2010, 06:36 AM
Aerayda

5 posts · Feb 2010
Send a message via Yahoo to Aerayda
Hi, another popular spam protection plugin for WordPress is WP Spam Free at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-spamfree/

Sincerely,

David
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:58 AM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Yeah, wp spam free is really good. Only human or semi-human spam makes it through. On my site (google PR 5 - as I think PR matters most when it comes to spam) I have to delete 2-3 spam per week only (and no annoying captchas). With semi-human I mean this spam were the steal lines of text from websites or write nonsense, like: Great site, I will bookmark it for future reference.
or Thanks for your efforts to create this site. Great work
Old Feb 20, 2010, 03:25 AM
DannyLife

40 posts · Nov 2009
Haven't used any of the ones above, but this one works fine for me http://www.642weather.com/weather/sc...ss-captcha.php

It simply adds a captcha script to your comment form, you can set it to low so your real users only have to enter a 4 digit easy to see code, totally erased all spam from my sites
Old Dec 2, 2010, 04:24 AM
Grum

49 posts · Feb 2010
Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremecarver
Yeah, wp spam free is really good. Only human or semi-human spam makes it through.
I use WP-Spam Free too - I mainly got it for the contact form option, which is really easy to use. Recently I started getting a lot of semi-human spam (about 3-8 a day), so installed Akismet as well. Akismet takes care of 99.9% of everything and has only been wrong once so far. It's definitely recommended!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 06:15 AM
mathur.rajeev

6 posts · Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerayda
Hi, another popular spam protection plugin for WordPress is WP Spam Free at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-spamfree/

Sincerely,

David
Hey David

I couldn't find any plugin with this name. i followed the link, alas....

please provide another link.

Regards
Old Dec 3, 2010, 06:24 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
did you try a google search of 'WP Spam Free'?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 07:13 AM
mathur.rajeev

6 posts · Nov 2010
thanks juggledad....i searched only in wordpress site.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:54 AM
jfill

1 posts · Dec 2012
I installed SI Captcha to my site and activated it, but am not able to see a captcha in the Atahualpa comment box under the test article I posted. Do I have to add a snippet anywhere? Tks.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I installed and configured it and it seems to work fine.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:19 PM
kdawes01

102 posts · May 2009
Missoula, MT
Myself, I'm partial to the Growmap Anti Spam Plugin (GASP). Virtually *zero* spam anywhere I have used it and no false positives.

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 11, 2012 at 07:41 PM.