Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Add additional filters to Archive Page

Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:06 AM
JournalStone

11 posts · Jul 2009
Atahualpa 3.4

Is it possible to add additional filters on the archive page? Currently I am displaying Archives by Month and Archives by Category. I'd like to also display Archives by Tags. Is this possible? If so, could it be formatted in an additional column?

http://journalstone.com/archives/

Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 01:36 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I suggest to create a new page template instead of editing functions/bfa_post_parts.php, which is where the code for the default archives page is located.

To create a archives page template, create a new file in a text editor and paste this content into it:

PHP Code:
<?php /*
Template Name: Archives
*/ 
?>
<?php     
/* get all options: */
include (TEMPLATEPATH '/functions/bfa_get_options.php');
get_header(); ?>
<table id="myarchive" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<colgroup>
    <col style="width:33%">
    <col style="width:34%">
</colgroup>
<tr>
<td>
    <h3>By Date</h3>
    <ul>
    <?php wp_get_archives('type=monthly&show_post_count=1&limit=0'); ?>
    </ul>
    </td>
<td>
    <h3>By Category</h3>
    <ul>
    <?php wp_list_categories('title_li=&orderby=name&order=ASC&show_count=1&depth=0&feed_image=' 

get_bloginfo('template_directory') . '/images/icons/feed.gif' '')); ?>
    </ul>
</td>
<td>
    <h3>By Tag</h3>
    <ul>
    <?php wp_tag_cloud('format=list&orderby=count&unit=px&smallest=12&largest=12&number=0'); ?>
    </ul>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
<?php get_footer(); ?>
Save the file as archives.php and upload it into the Atahualpa directory on your web hosting account.

If every column gets the same width anyway, then this part

PHP Code:
<
col style="width:33%">
<
col style="width:34%"
can be replaced with the shorter:

PHP Code:
<col><col><col
in the above code.

To customize the output for each one of the three lists, see http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/wp_tag_cloud,
http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_...ist_categories and http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_...p_get_archives.

To style the columns, use a CSS insert to add styling to the <TD> columns of the table

PHP Code:
table#myarchive td {

vertical-aligntop;

background#eeeeee;

bordersolid 1px #cccccc;

padding10px;

The width of the columns must be controlled through the "col" selector

PHP Code:
<col style="width:33%"
This does not have to be inline, you could also use:

<col class="col1">

plus a CSS Insert:

PHP Code:
col.col1 {

width200px;

Create a page in Wordpress with a title but no content and choose "Archives" as the page template in the drop down select menu at the top right of the "Posts" -> "Edit" or "Add New" page.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 09:02 AM
JournalStone

11 posts · Jul 2009
Flynn,

You rock! I'll play with this over the weekend.

Thanks!

JournalStone