Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

JUGGLEDAD's multi column/custom query - as front page, sticky posts

Old Mar 12, 2014, 04:15 AM
capelady

50 posts · Mar 2010
JUGGLEDAD's multi column/custom query - as front page, sticky posts

Having recently discovered and starting to use JUGGLEDAD's multi column/custom query template (thank you Juggledad!), I have a couple of questions.

I want to use it as the front page of a site, with only certain categories showing. I had read a post written in 2009 (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...4235#post44235) about copying a template to home.php and modifying it, but I'm not sure it applies to this or still applies at all, as another post didn't reference it, I think. Can I just create a page using the template and set it as my front page or do I still need to follow the instructions there?

Also, I tried to have a sticky post at the top of a custom query page where only the category "news" shows, but the sticky isn't sticky - it moves down if I post another news item. This is on a page not designated as the front page, since I haven't done that yet.

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 05:03 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
From the WordPress Codex (found by googling 'wordpress sticky'
Quote:
Sticky Posts is a feature introduced with Version 2.7. A check box is included on the Administration > Posts > Add New Screen (In the Publish panel under Visibility. Click edit to see the checkbox). If checked, the post will be placed at the top of the front page of posts, keeping it there until new posts are published. Please notice that this feature is only available for the built-in post type post and not for custom post types.
To check this yourself swap to another theme and view the posts by category.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:02 PM
capelady

50 posts · Mar 2010
Thanks, I know how to make a post sticky, I just didn't know why it didn't "stick" on my custom post page.

"this feature is only available for the built-in post type post and not for custom post types. "

So with your multi column/custom query template, a post I have designated as "sticky" will not stick to the top, is that what you are saying?

As to the other part of my question about using your template as the front page of my website - do I need to follow the instructions in the post http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...4235#post44235 ? Since that post was written so long ago, I want to be sure if it's still applicable. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:33 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Stickies is something that only works on the front page this is a WordPress (?) feature (?) noting to do with the theme.

Quote:
do I need to follow the instructions…<snip>...
no you can use it as is.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:54 PM
mowster

1 posts · Apr 2014
Similar to the original requestor, I would like to create a page that uses the juggledad theme to pull posts from just one category.

Then, using settings in Wordpress, the reading settings, I would set that page as the home page, instead of using the default home page.

I can do all this.

However, the Juggledad template (1.4 I think it is) displays the list of posts differently than the default listing - Normally on my home page, the images at the top of the post are displayed with the list. With the juggledad template, the images are not displayed.

What's the best way to make a juggledad template page look just like my default home page?

Last edited by juggledad; Apr 24, 2014 at 02:39 PM.