Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

How to change styling for the Tag Cloud

Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:28 AM
StudioGal

181 posts · Feb 2009
Palm Beach Gardens FL
First of all, THANKS for this excellent theme. It is obvious that a tremendous amount of work went into its programming and its design. Flynn, you are to be heartily congratulated and I WILL be donating to support theme development when I can.

The only thing I wish to change so far, is the font size for the tag cloud. I'd like to reduce the font considerably so it isn't as dominating an item in my sidebar.

Any advice on how to go about this would be much appreciated. TIA!
Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:31 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The font sizes are hard coded into the widget and cannot be changed with CSS. I'd recommend that you install this small widget http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/php-code-widget/

Then remove the default tag widget from the sidebar and put one instance of this new PHP Code Widget into a sidebar at Site Admin -> Appearance -> Widgets

Into the text area of the widget put
PHP Code:
<?php wp_tag_cloud('smallest=8&largest=14'); ?>
You can add more parameters by adding &property=value

Defaults:

&smallest=8 (Font size for least used tags)
&largest=22 (Font size for most used tags)
&unit=pt (Font size unit: pt, px, em, %)
&number=45 (Show the XX most used tags. 0 = show all)
&format=flat (flat = side by side with one space between. list = <li>...</li> list)
&orderby=name (name = alphabetically. count = by amount of posts tagged with this tag)
&order=ASC (ASC, DESC, RAND)

Last edited by Flynn; Mar 1, 2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Added more formatting to make this clearer, also replaced "most popular" with "most used tags"
Old Mar 1, 2009, 08:03 AM
StudioGal

181 posts · Feb 2009
Palm Beach Gardens FL
Thanks Flynn, that worked great.

I've never done any PHP coding so if I understand you correctly: should I want to make the tags in random order, would this be the correct code:

<?php wp_tag_cloud('smallest=8&largest=14&order=RAND'); ?>
Old Mar 1, 2009, 08:46 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Exactly, you can add or remove properties, and if you leave it empty like this
PHP Code:
<?php wp_tag_cloud(); ?>
it will use all the default values
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:46 AM
StudioGal

181 posts · Feb 2009
Palm Beach Gardens FL
Thanks again, your clear explanations are much appreciated!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 06:26 PM
Sakshin

66 posts · Aug 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Educating. But I would like to change the font from bold to normal. Where do I do that?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:58 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
wp_tag_cloud() is a wordpress function. Here is a link to the function description: http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/wp_tag_cloud
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:08 PM
ymf

61 posts · May 2009
Thanks for the tip! I achieved pleasant results by using
PHP Code:
<?php wp_tag_cloud('smallest=6&largest=16&number=45&format=list'); ?>
in conjunction with CSS insert
PHP Code:
div#execphp-3 ul li{ 
displayinline;
border-left2px solid #FFFFFE;

By the way, I would love to associate this CSS with the CSS class "wp-tag-cloud" rather than with the id "execphp-3" but couldn't figure it out.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:21 AM
contrast101

11 posts · May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
wp_tag_cloud() is a wordpress function. Here is a link to the function description: http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/wp_tag_cloud
Sorry but what file gets edited? I'm not sure.

WP 2.9
Old May 28, 2010, 06:08 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
If you look thru the page I pointed to, you will find the source location