Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

adding physical templates

Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:47 PM
jeffe

16 posts · Dec 2012
adding physical templates

Howdy
I would like to create, with full php power, a template to use for my homepage.
This is so I can use some 'do_shortcode' calls required by other plugins.

What am I missing - there is no spot on my page editor to choose a non-virtual theme.

I have uploaded my theme into the main montezuma theme folder.

I even tried naming it 'front-page.php', but this would not render any headers. I would also just like to know how to use my own templates.

Thank you.
-j
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I am not clear on how you installed Montezuma. You should just install like any other theme. Then within the theme options you create the virtual templates.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
If you want to create page templates outside the theme options, copy index.php as your base. It will not be editable via the theme options, but you can use dashboard->appearances->editor to edit it.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:03 PM
jeffe

16 posts · Dec 2012
Thanks for the replies...
Quote:
Then within the theme options you create the virtual templates.
I don't want to use virtual templates - I want to create physical templates so I can use all the usual php functions and specifically some 'shortcode' from other plugins.

Quote:
If you want to create page templates outside the theme options, copy index.php as your base. It will not be editable via the theme options, but you can use dashboard->appearances->editor to edit it.
I tried that - but there is no place in the page editor to choose a non-virtual template.

Here is a clear example...
I want to create a full php template (not a virtual template) called 'mytemplate.php'. I want to apply this to a page I create called 'My Page'.
I can definitely start by copying index.php - but then how do I use that template for 'My page'?

Part of Montezuma's ad says 'The ability to create physical page templates is preserved.'... how do I still use these 'physical' page templates if there is no way to assign them via the page editor? I only see option to use virtual templates.

Last edited by jeffe; Dec 12, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
how do I still use these 'physical' page templates
the same as you would fro any theme. When you create a page look in the right hand colum for the section 'Templates' that is where you pick your template.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:13 PM
jeffe

16 posts · Dec 2012
Thats what I thought - but I only have boxes labelled:
Publish - Page Attributes - Virtual Templates - Featured Image

I have also checked 'Screen Options' but found nothing that seems to help.
Thanks yall

edit: also using latest version of wordpress (3.5) but experienced the same behavior on 3.4.2

Last edited by jeffe; Dec 12, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:30 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You, of course, do have to add code to the top of your template to let WordPress know it is a template. For example
PHP Code:
<?php
/*
Template Name: My Template
*/
?>