Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

Switching permalink formats - how to avoid Error 404 page not found??

Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:19 PM
Eve

3 posts · Sep 2009
I'd like to switch permalinks from the default to the ones that use slugs or post titles, but when I try this, somehow I am getting Error404 page not found messages. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks in advance.
Eve
Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:42 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
You can use Dean's Permalink Migration plugin, which creates a 301 file so that old links from outside will be redirected to your new pretty links. I did it successfully on several sites. It will not, however, fix your internal broken links.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:46 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
check this out http://wordpress.org/support/topic/270541
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:56 AM
mango

2 posts · Dec 2009
Send a message via Skype™ to mango
Hi. I'm brand spanking new to WP and am having problems with my permalinks being directed to 404 error pages. My url does not point to the root directory. It points to the subdirectory that the blog is in.

Is that the problem, because I've spent hours trying to figure out why I can't use "custom" permalinks with the "All in SEO" plugin.

BTW, I have no idea what WAMP is. I just installed my WP through Fantastico Deluxe on a Host Gator server and used the Atahualpa theme. Can someone figure out what I'm doing wrong by the info I've given here? If you need to know more, just please ask.

Every time I get a message that says "permalink cannot be set automatically" or some such thing, I hit the reset button, and my blog disappears. Then I go back and reset it back away to default and it works again. I even lose my other pages. Very frustrating!

Thanks, Ya'll
Old Dec 5, 2009, 04:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you need to see if you are allowed, on your host, to have an .htaccess file. You have to have a mod_rewrite' statement in the .htaccess (if you don't know what that is, do a google search and read about it)

Some host's don't allow you to have your own .htaccess files

a quick google search finds:
Quote:
"WAMP" is an acronym formed from the initials of the operating system (Windows) and the package's principal components: Apache, MySQL and PHP (or Perl or Python).

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 03:22 PM
mango

2 posts · Dec 2009
Send a message via Skype™ to mango
Thank you for your reply. I'll try to figure this out in the next few days.

Be well...