Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Right Scroll Bar Not Showing in Browser

Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:07 PM
Zona

30 posts · Jan 2010
When I look at my site with the browser extended to full page view... I can't see the right scroll bar.

Any ideas why this is happening? I've got a header image that is 1250px and I am looking at my site in Mozilla Firefox.

Any input is appreciated!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:29 PM
Zona

30 posts · Jan 2010
More info on this problem.... Actually, I noticed today that none of the WP themes are showing my web site with the right vertical scroll bar showing.

?????
Old Jan 11, 2010, 03:41 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what is the website?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:04 PM
Zona

30 posts · Jan 2010
Juggledad: Thanks for the reply. My web site is: vegansprout.com

I found this page surfing the internet: http://www.egil.dk/2007/03/28/css-tr...ow-scrollbars/ with some CSS tricks.

I used the following in my CSS Inserts and it solved the problem:
html {
overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical;
overflow: scroll;
}

BUT now I'm having this problem (not sure if the two are related)...

When I view my site on a 13" screen I can see my beige border around the entire site (or container). I've set this using background: #XXXXXXX; in BODY STYLE + Setting a 1250px FIXED LAYOUT WIDTH+ adding background: #XXXXXX; to the CENTER COLUMN STYLE.

However, when I view my site on a 14" screen, I can NOT see this border on the LEFT hand side.

Please let me know if you have any possible ideas on how to fix?

Thank you.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:26 PM
Zona

30 posts · Jan 2010
Reduced my Layout WIDTH to 1000px and now see beige border around container on both 13" and 14" screens. This reduces the width of container but the space works fine for me.

Please advise or guide me to another post for the info: Is it better to work with a flexible layout so that all viewers regardless of monitor/browser see your site the same?

I experimented and changed the Layout WIDTH to a fluid 99% and then looked at it on a 13" and 14" screen... not only did it wreak havoc with where the backround of the entire site appeared... but it still looked different on both screens.

Any advice is well appreciated. Thanks very much.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 04:52 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
it's not the screen size you have to worry about (ie a 13" or 14" screen) it's the resolution the screen displays. If you have a 13" screen set to 1280 x 1040 (if it can support it) and a 14" screen set to 800 x 600, the 13" screen will show more of the web page than the 14". Everything will be smaller on the 13" and you will see more, on the 14" everything will look bigger but you will see less.

The key is to figure out your market (ie who will view your site) then figure out what size screen they have and build for that. It is a constantly changing environment, just recently I went from a 19" moniter to 2 23" monitors with the lowest resolution of 640 x 480 and a maximum of 2048 x 1152 - that is 4 times the viewing area. Now, try and design a web site that looks good on both (hahahahahahaha <- evil laughter) You have to pick a happy medium.