Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Item Padding inside Expaned Page Menus & Color of Items on current page.

Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:55 PM
joshsweiss

36 posts · Feb 2010
Hi there -

I'm working on getting this site up and running: http://www.artcurvedstraight.org/home

I'm wondering how to decrease the padding between the "li.page-item" items in the expanded submenu. The menu is expanding too far into my page, and I figure the easiest way to decrease this space is to decrease the padding between items.

Also, when I am on the current page, say http://www.artcurvedstraight.org/art , and I hover over the submenu, all items in the submenu also turn red, the color of my "current" page items.

Any idea how to attack these two?

I donated $ last night to say thanks and download themefreme,excited about the possibilities.

Thanks!
Josh
Old Feb 10, 2010, 03:22 PM
joshsweiss

36 posts · Feb 2010
Actually, I just found out how to affect the spacing.

STILL NEED HELP WITH COLOR ISSUE THOUGH!

This post: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=2629

Led me to try the below, and it worked,

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:link,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:hover,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:visited,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:active
{
padding-top: 1;
padding-bottom: 1;
}
Old Feb 14, 2010, 05:22 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
is this still an issue?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 02:33 PM
joshsweiss

36 posts · Feb 2010
Juggledad -

My original padding issue has been solved. But...

I'm still having the color issue, which can be seen by observing the behavior of the page-menu at http://www.artcurvedstraight.org/music/contact/

Essentially, both the child menu "Contact" and ALL of its sub-menus (director, musicians, and purchase) all become orange, which is my "current" color. In the way I understand it, only "Contact" should be orange, while the rest should remain black.

Also, another strange thing is happening with the page menu that I'd love some help with. I have used the same code i quoted in post 2 above to modify the spacing between the li items in the page menu. However, if you look at where the menus actually expand, it no longer aligns with where the items APPEAR on the page. It is as if I have shifted their display, but wordpress still thinks the itmes are in their original, unshifted locations. Can this be fixed?

Thanks for your help on this awesome theme!

josh
Old Feb 16, 2010, 09:45 PM
joshsweiss

36 posts · Feb 2010
Juggledad -

One more question. Which leaves me at 3. It was 4, but as stated above, one has been solved. To restate.

1. I'm still having the color issue, which can be seen by observing the behavior of the page-menu at http://www.artcurvedstraight.org/music/contact/

Essentially, both the child menu "Contact" and ALL of its sub-menus (director, musicians, and purchase) all become orange, which is my "current" color. In the way I understand it, only "Contact" should be orange, while the rest should remain black.

2. Also, another strange thing is happening with the page menu that I'd love some help with. I have used the same code i quoted in post 2 above to modify the spacing between the li items in the page menu. However, if you look at where the menus actually expand, it no longer aligns with where the items APPEAR on the page. It is as if I have shifted their display, but wordpress still thinks the itmes are in their original, unshifted locations. Can this be fixed?

3. I was looking through the Ruthsarian page, and looking over his stylesheet for tips, but coulnd't figure out how to get my sub-menus to partly cover thier parents, in the way that the working examples do on this page: http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/l...enu/index.html

any tips on the 3 would be appreciated. thank you thank you!!!

Josh
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:24 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
see post #7 of http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=2745
Old Feb 22, 2010, 06:47 PM
joshsweiss

36 posts · Feb 2010
Juggledad -

Thanks for pointing out that post - however, I can't say I quite get it. And looking at the original poster from that site, neither does he - he never fixed his color problem!

I don't quite understand how to target each successive level of menus with the CSS - what distinguishes the parent menu from each submenu so that I can target its CSS?

Also, could you please explain how I move my submenus - they are pretty messed up on artcurvedstraight.org/home . I used padding to move the parent menus farther apart, but it has done strange things to the children. I'd love to know how to target my child menus, to move them around and change their colors, as I mentioned above.

This is really key to my using Atahualpa, and explanation is appreciated. A lot. !

Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 06:31 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I started to write up an expaination and then realized to explain this in detail, and simply, will take a couple hours.

The CSS for the menu's is complex, just look at a generated page and take a look at the section for the menu's - it's 450 lines of CSS!

Your problem is the padding you put in is shifting the text inside it's element so it looks off. Do this, change the CSS you have
HTML Code:
div#menu1 li {
padding:0 .3em
}
to
HTML Code:
div#menu1 li {
border:solid 1px red;
padding:0 .3em
}
and you will see that the submenu's are alligned with the elment area of the parent, but the text in the parent is shifted.