Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] menu item background image not showing in IE

Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:53 AM
peterkinvara

7 posts · Sep 2010
ireland
Hello, and congratulations on a very useful theme. My first post. I'm have an issue with a backgound image (a little arrow) not showing in IE7( grrr!!!!!); it works fine in Firefox. Its set up to show an arrow under the current page link, and to show an arrow above the selected menu item when hovering over the other page links. Using Wordpress 3.04 and Atahualpa 353 This is the site -http://earlofdesmond.com/ Thanks for any suggestions (or constructive criticisms!)
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:43 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Put a slash before wp-content for the paths to the hover and current icons. As an example
For the hover icon you currently have
HTML Code:
background: url("wp-content/uploads/2011/03/hovericon.png") no-repeat scroll center top transparent !important;
You should have
HTML Code:
background: url("/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/hovericon.png") no-repeat scroll center top transparent !important;
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:16 AM
peterkinvara

7 posts · Sep 2010
ireland
Wow Larry thanks for the speedy reply -great forum! I made the changes you suggested, but no go. I also tried adding quotes around the url , but still no go. It works in Chrome also, just IE causing the problem. Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:24 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Could you export and attach your settings file to a reply?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:27 AM
peterkinvara

7 posts · Sep 2010
ireland
Her you are Larry, and thanks again for your attention.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ata-wwwearlofdesmondcom-20110314.txt (22.8 KB, 1027 views)
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Two other things to try. Turn on IE 7 emulation in ATO>Style & Configure Layout and try using the full path to the images.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 03:15 AM
peterkinvara

7 posts · Sep 2010
ireland
Hello Larry, I've already tried using the full path, but no luck( even tried using a .gif instead of a .png). Atahualpa 353 doesn't seem to have the option to turn on Emulate IE7, so I installed 3.6.4 on my local machine where I have XAMPP installed, and with a similar set-up, but still no go. I don't like to give up on these things, but...
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:14 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I looked again and notice no space after the parenthesis and before no-repeat. When I added a space on my test it started working in IE. Here is one of the lines before
HTML Code:
background: url("http://www.earlofdesmond.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/hovericon.png")no-repeat top center !important;
And here it is after
HTML Code:
background: url("http://www.earlofdesmond.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/hovericon.png") no-repeat top center !important;
Not much difference but IE can be like that.

Last edited by lmilesw; Mar 16, 2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:57 AM
peterkinvara

7 posts · Sep 2010
ireland
[SOLVED] duh! Larry - thanks a million! That simple little space was all it needed (and of course I should have spotted it). So a lesson for all frustrated coders - beware of IE, and little things like missing spaces! Thanks again Larry.

Last edited by peterkinvara; Mar 16, 2011 at 04:03 AM.